Cutting solvent weld pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just out of curiosity, is there any reason not to use the cutter in the attached picture on solvent weld pipe? i’ve got guillotine-type cutters, but they tend to squash the pipe and it’s not easy to get a straight cut, or cut it at all for that matter!

Attachments

• 69A64093-8974-4733-98A2-5DCA310595F2.jpeg
    69A64093-8974-4733-98A2-5DCA310595F2.jpeg
    241.4 KB · Views: 59
Sponsored Links
You could try ,but it's a bit hit and miss with that type. If you are very careful to keep the pipe within the guide rollers ,and don't tighten the wheel too much ( which tends to deform the pipe shape) it should eventually cut through if the cutting wheel is in good condition.

I use a hacksaw as well but I am rubbish cutting in a straight line or even a curved one on a bit of pipe so I stick a bit of insulation tape around the pipe to give me a rough guide.

Sponsored Links
I use a hacksaw as well but I am rubbish cutting in a straight line or even a curved one on a bit of pipe so I stick a bit of insulation tape around the pipe to give me a rough guide.
These were invented for people such as you. :giggle:

just out of curiosity, is there any reason not to use the cutter in the attached picture on solvent weld pipe? i’ve got guillotine-type cutters, but they tend to squash the pipe and it’s not easy to get a straight cut, or cut it at all for that matter!
Is it ratchet sheers or just lever ones? When using them, start cutting down, when it starts to depress the pipe then twist the pipe/shears around, the blade will then start the cut straight and will compete the rest of the cut in line. Make sure they are nice and sharp too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back