cutting tiles around a quadrant shower tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm nearly at the point where I need to cut the tiles to follow the curve of the shower tray and wondered if anyone had any tools or tips thay can recommend to do this job.

I've layed all the tiles out on the floor and done the majority of the cuts as a dry fit including putting the tray on top of the tiles to be able to draw out the curve but it occured to me at this point to see if it is possible/ advisable to tile under the tray and then simply lay the tray over the top and therefore avoiding any cuts?
I realise that this is a waste of tiles but I'm sure i can afford to sacrifice 4 or 5 tiles.

Sponsored Links
Not sure i'd want to tile under it, whats the floor made of?

As for cutting, should be pretty easy, a hand held grinder with a diamond wheel will cut them fine.

Will make alot of dust.

You could also cut them straight and use nibblers to make the curve, just as neat with practice.

Can also be done on a wet diamond cutter, cut from the edge into the curve so you end up with what looks like a comb, then snap out the prongs.
Hard to describe.

Depends on your skill levels, i'd guess the easiest way for a DIY'er would be the hand held grinder to cut the curve.

Don't tile under the tray, it needs to be on cement/18mm ply etc.

I do what Graemevw does with the diamond wet wheel cutter (£40 job from B&Q will do). Just keep slicing and filing and offering up to check.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back