Using shower tray as a 'batten' for tiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I've tiled a little before, and though I am not great at it I am going to tile a shower area soon, which should be relatively straightforward.

I know that the standard advice is to start with a batten less than one tile height from the tray and work up, then remove the batten and cut to fit the bottom gap, but I am wondering if there is any reason not to simply use the shower tray as the starting point, with some spacers to leave a gap for silicone?

I suspect the reason for the batten is so that you can avoid having a sliver of a tile at the top, but as I am going to stop with a whole tile before reaching the ceiling, is there any other reason not to tile from the tray up? The tray will be level.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I've usually found that the ceiling runs out at least a little bit so deliberately making sure you have a cut at the top allows you to compensate and get a nice close fit all the way round.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Good tip.

As per the OP, I originally wasn't planning on going all the way to the ceiling, but I have changed that plan now as with the condition of the plaster at the top I would have had to make good on that, and its easier to just fit an extra row of tiles to the ceiling so I have just run the backer board to the top.

Should get on to this later in the week so good timing on this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back