Cutting tiles

I must confess that the piccy of Tommy Walsh on the box alone made me reach into my wallet ;) But seriously though I used to have the older plasplugs model and that made a bloody mess with water. This new one (with the guard down atleast) recycles the water without dumping it in a line down your chest or legs. Cheap enough and mine has given me about 200 cuts of pure pleasure :confused: so far........

Sponsored Links
I had a flash of inspiration a few weeks back. What I did in the end was to open out a couple of heavy-gauge black refuse bags (get an adult to help with the scissors :D ), place them on the concrete bathroom floor, and fill the water reservoir slightly less. I then donned a facemask (figured with less water there would be dust, was right too).

I found that the water was only actually shooting out at one particular angle, where the disc hit the water. So, the refuse sack floor caught the water, and when I was finished I just soaked it up with a cloth.

Now about that endorsement, when I saw Tommy Walsh cutting tiles on TV he used a manual cutter... :LOL:

I have bee tiling for more years than i care to remember, i've bought 'em all.....and chucked 'em away! BUT.....i would recommend the "Tommy Walsh" tile cutter from Plasplug, I paid 30 quid for mine, do all my cutting outside come rain or shine, i do some heavy usage cutting! i've been through two cutters this year alone! (plus about 6 new wheels).

Highly recommended! when it dies chuck it away and buy a new one!! :LOL:

Hi

Haven't posted for a while

Got the upstairs of my bungalow completed so moved my son and all his computer and AV equipment into his new bedroom so access to this computer is now a bit more limited

Anyway, I digress

I picked up this thread when desperately searching for help yesterday

I needed to tile my new ensuite and the local tool hire company let me down with a promise of a tile cutter

Following advice here, I went to the local Focus and got a Plasplug £30 tile cutter, complete with spare disc!!

Result 144 40mm * 250mm tiles fitted, not one breakage

Great result

:D :D :D

Sponsored Links
Either I'm a bit hamfisted with tiles, or the wheel cutter I bought was c**p... I like to think the latter!

How many of your 144 required cutting?

I remember hiring an "industrial" tile cutter for £25 for the day when doing kitchen floor. Took me 2 hours to fix it and get it running right (no water flow), then by luck or judgement (although I prefer excellent foresight and planning/design initiative ;) ) I had to cut,,,,2 tiles. :cry:

Can you not adjust the direction of cooling water to cutter ?
In engineering specifically surface grinding, tis enough to direct the water at the job, not on the wheel itself, just gets flung off there doesn't it ?
What about the odd simple thin rubber skirt perhaps glued in place ? Just a thought.
P

pipme said:
What about the odd simple thin rubber skirt perhaps glued in place ? Just a thought.
P
Rubber skirt ????
Glue ??????
Just what sort of forum do you think this is ? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Scoby_Beasley said:
pipme said:
P
Rubber skirt ????
Glue ??????
Just what sort of forum do you think this is ? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

SHPWVAT AHGGRE !! ;)

Try 'curtain' not 'skirt' --- (pelmet was best version of latter). A pliable 'curtain' placed in line with the cutter spray could contain spray locally .. do it all the time in engineering.
;)

pipme said:
SHPWVAT AHGGRE !! ;)

Either this is a hint about the key to your signature, or just dropped a breezeblock on your foot. :LOL:

Try the halfabet key !! ;) Ouchh !!

Tis the language of the 'great white' who patrols the nether regions of Diynot !! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back