1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Cutting under high gloss kitchen panel

Discussion in 'Wood / Woodwork / Carpentry' started by fakenip, 5 Jan 2021.

1. fakenip

fakenip

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I need to cut under a high gloss panel in a fitted kitchen inorder to slide some laminate flooring under it. Would an oscillating tool be up for the job? Any tips on blades to use I'm worried it will chip. Is a hand saw better ? The panels are exposed on both sides so there's no bottom, both sides need to be blemish free if possible.

Thanks guys

2. Sponsored Links
  3. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Laminate should not be trapped under units.

4. fakenip

fakenip

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The unit will not rest on top of the laminate. There will be plenty of room for expansion too. It will look better than putting a bead around the wood

5. mrrusty

mrrusty

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The problem is the bottom of the panel is probably edged against moisture, and if you cut it you will leave a raw edge that will swell when the kitchen floor inevitably gets mopped. Ideally take the panel off and trim the top edge. If not possible, I would be inclined to tight-fit the laminate against the panel and run a small bead of silicon around, rather than leave an exposed edge. In my own experience although you are supposed to have an expansion gap, small sections of tight fit don't tend to give problems if there are gaps elsewhere around the edge of the laminate.

6. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I fitted to island with 3-4mm gap and sealed gap , little extra on the expansion gap on far end of laminate to allow expansion away from units .

7. charliegolf

charliegolf

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Is the panel hard up under a worktop? If so, cut a bit off the top and raise it up.

8. Sponsored Links