Cutting Wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

When i Hang wallpaper i always leave a little extra paper at the top and bottom as everyone suggests. However when it comes to cutting off the extras i can never get a clean cut, it sometimes rips or pulls the paper.

I have tried it when the paper is wet & dry. Any tips?

Sponsored Links
Fold it, peel back, and cut at the fold. Use a long, sharp pair of scissors and go slow.

While wet, obviously.

You can also use a straight edge and a sharp utility knife. This usually works well but if the paper is very thin and tissue like it can snag. Very sharp scissors are a must.

you can also buy the arris wallpaper cutter :rolleyes: from 1 of the shopping channels,iirc about 20 quid,or do what i done and bought 1 at a boot fair for a quid ;) it does actually work,
funny thing was i went back to the scissors :)

Sponsored Links
if you struggle to get a straight cut try marking the paper with a very sharp pencil to get a fine line to follow with the scissors, aim to cut the line off but stick to the line at all times ,sharp paperhanging scissors are a must and keep the blades clean from excess paste before each length is cut, also stick your tongue out whilst cutting dont know why but this seems to help :LOL:

I agree with most of the people here sharp Shears will solve your problems.
Just a couple of little points to go with that make sure you don't wait to long for the paste to absorb it will make the paper soft and hard to work with and if you look at your shears one of the blades is round at the end and one is pointed, using the pointed blade Professionals just run it under the excess at about 30 degrees peel it back of the wall a touch and cut along the impression made my the shears this method takes in all the little nooks and cranny's at the top of the wall to form a good cut.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back