Laura Ashley wallpaper problems

I too am having an absolute nightmare with Laura Ashley wallpaper. My decorator (who has a fantastic reputation and a good 30 years' experience) could not match their gypsophila wallpaper. He called in decorator friends to help, and a whole day was wasted (along with my money!) trying to match the pattern.

I called the store and they agreed it was faulty and they could see no way it could be matched. Then took it off sale because they didn't want more customers complaining.

I've then waited about a month for a reply from their customer service, who have today told me there's nothing wrong with the wallpaper!!!

Unbelievable!

Sponsored Links
I had exactly the same trouble a few years ago with Laura Ashley paper, absolute nightmare, tried adjusting soaking time, changed paste, avoided over working the paper on the wall and still had the odd seam open up.

Fortunately the trick of running a matching emulsion (bought a matchpot) down the gap and wiping off quickly with a damp sponge got me out of trouble.

Never touched the stuff since!

Regards,
footprints

I use LA paper quite regularly and have never had any problems with Shrinkage. I always use Solvite and have no problems with that either. It has been put on a great variety of surfaces aswell with no problems.

HI,

Am just about to use LA wallpaper but am a little anxious after reading all these posts.

Anyone out there who has used this product regularly and can give me some steps to ensure it works out ok please? We have never wallpapered before! We are just doing a feature wall behind our bed, so no doors, windows etc, just a rectangular wall.

If you can help out, it would be much appreciated thanks!

Daniman71

Sponsored Links
Dont oversoak it when pasted. Soak for about 4 - 5 minutes. Keep the joints tight and use a seam roller on each length. ;)

just follow the instructions on the back of the label to the letter and you shouldn't go wrong.

hi I came across this post I know it is old but I thought I would share ,

Many wallpapers are made by a print company they buy in the blank paperand run this through their press they are not decorators the samples you send back are cut into a small section and stuck onto a board in no way is this representative of hanging paper in a lounge.

Ask laura Ashley what there B.S. registration number is ?
They are not registered they only claim to manifacture to a standard none of which is relavant to wallpaper.

All walls should be cross lined with 1000 grade paper using a ready mix adhesive. This will provide uniform suction and adhesion. Be a little carefull of using a packet paste with a weak mix for the linning paper then using a strong ready mix over the top for the wallpaper.

Use a ready mix adhesive for the wallpaper and make sure the adhesive is brushed out to the edges. Allow to soak 5 - 10 or as stated ,hang the paper and brush out be carefull if using a seam roller as they will push out adhesive onto the face trim again becarefull of wiping glue of the face of papers.

Packet paste will contain a considerable amount of water which when applied to the paper will expand it the aim now is for the paste to adhere between the wallpaper and the linning paper before the paper statrts to shrink.

Using a ready mix paste gives good initial grab cures faster and most importantly dosn't wet the paper as much as ready mix.

Hope this is of some use and is only my opinion.

Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back