Laura Ashley paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right, got some of the dreaded laura Ashley paper to hang in an upcoming job. I reckon i've been lucky, as so far i've only had to hang it on one other occasion and it actually went up ok, but i dont like the feel of this one, the backing paper is thin and i'm thinking its either going to stretch or shrink?

Read the instructions and it doesnt inspire confidence when they advise you to use a strong border adhesive type paste for the edges, Also advises using their own paste or an equivelant water soluble starch based paste, well, i cant believe that their own sh%te is better than solvite, any experiance?

Good customer and they are cool about it and husband cant believe wife has bought LA paper and if it goes wrong they are happy to buy a different paper but i have my ego to consider!! Will line the wall first so wondering if you guys have any top tips, it is only a feature wall so no corners etc probably max six drops. Thought it might be a good start if i run a line of the emulsion paint thats roughly matched to the background of LA onto the LP where the seems will be.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
The dreaded LA, well when I have been unlucky enough to be in the position to hang them I have always used Solvite, it's that bit with regard to the border adhesive on the seams that puzzles me. Out of interest what is the desired soaking time of this paper.

Dec

Its 3-4 minutes Dec which i suppose about right for a light weight paper although i probably normally go 4-5, i just normally go by feel as soon as the paper feels loose and flexible i hang it! Good to know the solvite will be ok, thanks

Tell you what I often do when I come across a situation such as yours is to cut off approx 6" and paste and fold as you would for a full drop, then when the desired soaking time is reached I will measure it at minute intervals to see if the paper creeps. When it reaches a constant measure I would then determine that to be the desired soaking time, yet if this does occur you need to ascertain if the paper is still hangable.

Dec

Sponsored Links
I have used Laura Ashley paper many times, got it in my own house. Never had a problem with it to be honest. I tend to very slightly undersoak it. This keeps the joints tight. Always use a seam roller on the edges. I have always used Solvite paste.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back