Cutting window board depth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have framed , insulated and plasterboarded the underneath of our bay. The previous window sill was about 3inch deep (not good)

I have bought some standard 219mm deep MDF window board, but this seems too deep even though I know it is a standard size. So I am going to take 1 and half inch off to reduce the overhang and make it look more appropriate.

I have got the use of a circular saw at the weekend to get it done.

Does anyone have any advice?

Sponsored Links
219mm is a standard size if your reveal depth is about 180mm thus giving you an overhang of 39mm. If my reveal depth was about 75mm i would buy a 150mm MDF window board and rip that down, less waste less cost, unless of course you want a massive overhang.

When using a circular saw keep both hands on the saw and clamp the workpiece. Do not hold the workpiece with your free hand.

Good luck.

Thanks chirpy.

The reveal (which I assume is from the window frame to the front face of the plaster is 120mm and then I was going to have an overhang of about 50mm.

Which didn't look excessive to me. We are having a rad under it and i defo don't want a big overhang, and the reveal thickness is fixed.

Yes... Il be careful with that thing :)

Sponsored Links
What do you guys think about the overhang distance. As the framing and plaster doesn't bring it up to the standard reveal. The window board depth needs reducing.

I originally wanted to reduce from 219mm to 175mm. This would still leave 60mm overhang. Is this excessive?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back