Cutting wooden floors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be laying air condition beneath floorboards soon. I will need to buy a saw to cut the floorboards. Would appreciate help from members on the best saw for the task. I presume a circular saw is best, also which is the best way to do it.
Thank you

Sponsored Links
You can get a hand saw to cut through floor board joints, has teeth round a curved end and straight on the reverse side. Would not use a circular (powered) saw because of pipe noggins (cut-outs), power cables etc. etc. You potentialy won't hear when the saw hits something you don't want it to.

i have an idea, suppose you lift a board, measure its depth, and set a circular saw to cut 0.5mm above this

Breezer has the answer
There is however a problem of 'kickback' when making that intial plunge cut and a fast rotating saw can be dangerous.
What I do, after ensuring there are no nails (extract if need be) is to position the saw face plate against a piece of 2 by 1 batten screwed to the floor, hold the rotating saw so the face plate is about 30 degrees and slowly lower the front of the saw, this prevents the kickbackon that initial plunge.
To make the task easy, you also need a good nail extractor (costs about £30 / £40 but worth it )
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Use a wire/stud finder intended for walls - but they won't detect plastic pipe!
Leaving the last fraction of wood works. You can then cut through it with a "Stanley" knife with the depth set.

You don't need the batten if you take the riving knife off the saw. A VERY light weight saw is easiest to hold against kick-back, mine is 5 1/4 " (135mm).

Make your cuts in the middle of joists so there's something for the ends of the boards to sit back on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back