Cycle hero or tw@t?

I live 4 miles from the 'big town', connected by a dual carriageway. I once cycled to town and back. It was terrifying, cars and lorries will do 70mph and pass you with 12" between the vehicle and you. Don't they know they create turbulence? One wobble, due to a hole in the road, and you are toast. And I know that it is easy to miss a cyclist, if you are behind a lorry, the lorry drives close to the cyclist, and you don't see him/her until you are almost level with them.

I can't believe the van driver who hit a cyclist with his car and fist was only cautioned. Pathetic.

Sponsored Links
I live 4 miles from the 'big town', connected by a dual carriageway. I once cycled to town and back. It was terrifying, cars and lorries will do 70mph and pass you with 12" between the vehicle and you. Don't they know they create turbulence? One wobble, due to a hole in the road, and you are toast. And I know that it is easy to miss a cyclist, if you are behind a lorry, the lorry drives close to the cyclist, and you don't see him/her until you are almost level with them.

I can't believe the van driver who hit a cyclist with his car and fist was only cautioned. Pathetic.
You're right. I wouldn't dare to cycle on any of our main roads.
In fact, I can't understand why cycling is becoming so trendy these days!

Because a bike is cheap and less stressfull (no sitting in traffic), but a car can cost you a thousand pounds a year in insurance/breakdown/tax/servicing before you have even driven anywhere.

Sponsored Links
I used to cycle every day for fitness, would cycle to work and back on a disused rail route that is now a cycle and pedestrian only track. Now to old and decrepit for the bike.

Weight issue now :cry:

I used to cycle every day for fitness, would cycle to work and back on a disused rail route that is now a cycle and pedestrian only track. Now to old and decrepit for the bike.

Age may be an issue...but weight isn't! ;) :p

EAonbike.jpg

That could bring a whole new meaning to "lost it on a corner" :p

Age may be an issue...but weight isn't! ;) :p

EAonbike.jpg
Good God! Do some people have no shame?
Certainly a solidly-built bike, by the looks of it anyway.

Coming out of Sainsbury's today, a cyclist picked-up his bike in the foyer (where it should not have been anyway) rode out the doors between pedestrians with less than 1ft clearance, and across the cash machines, at speed, on the pavement. This was in a car park with only slow moving traffic, so really no excuse at all to illegally use the pavement. This is the other side of the coin, the cyclists acting dangerously and illegally on the pavement. Unfortunately with no numberplates there is little point in reporting them.

Round here the cops seem to have a purge on pavement cycling every few months, after which it subsides for a few weeks, only to gradually reappear. Basically the penalties for this antisocial activity are ridiculously small, far less than some parking tickets, which is why they start chancing it again after the purge ends. Time there was parity between fines for similar offences, regardless of whether a cyclist or driver.

Also think it would be a great idea to have something like CBT for cyclists. It drastically reduced the accident rate for rookie motorcyclists.

Last edited:
Coming out of Sainsbury's today, a cyclist picked-up his bike in the foyer (where it should not have been anyway) rode out the doors between pedestrians with less than 1ft clearance, and across the cash machines, at speed, on the pavement. This was in a car park with only slow moving traffic, so really no excuse at all to illegally use the pavement. This is the other side of the coin, the cyclists acting dangerously and illegally on the pavement. Unfortunately with no numberplates there is little point in reporting them.

Round here the cops seem to have a purge on pavement cycling every few months, after which it subsides for a few weeks, only to gradually reappear. Basically the penalties for this antisocial activity are ridiculously small, far less than some parking tickets, which is why they start chancing it again after the purge ends. Time there was parity between fines for similar offences, regardless of whether a cyclist or driver.

Also think it would be a great idea to have something like CBT for cyclists. It drastically reduced the accident rate for rookie motorcyclists.
I'm afraid you're right.

Perhaps when a child is killed by such a cyclist things may begin to happen.

Nothing wrong with cycling on the pavement, just how you do it that matters.

Unfortunately with no numberplates there is little point in reporting them.

Had a car written off recently by a driver with a fake numberplate, police can't do now't.

Your having a laugh if you think number plates on bikes will achieve more than the square root of zero.

The problem with the UK deficit is down to this attitude, everyone wants everything controlled/regulated or serviced by the government. The result is the government/police try to enforce or service all kinds of things that they can't effectively afford to do, rather than focus on a smaller number of items but do so effectively.

You just got to accept that some cyclists will be gits, all these calls for licences, number plates and tax won't do anything but make life more miserable, haemorrhage more money and not actually fix anything.

Saw a driver going the wrong way down a road the other day, and beeping pedestrains out of the way on a path/driveway entrance (clearly he had no right of way).

You think I called the police? pfffff, situations like that have to be dealt with by you and me.

See a cyclist going like a bell end on a path around pedestrians, do what I do, push him off his bike.

Ok, not everyone can do that, but stop deluding yourself that this is something the police will ever have the resources to deal with, or that they should waste their time doing so.

Sponsored Links
Back