Cylinder connection tips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Anyone got a good tip for sealing the copper-iron unions on copper cylinders?

I usually use PTFE on the threads, and immersion washer+compound on the immersion/blanking plate, but have had the odd weep just as the whole system gets to maximum head!

I've now started doubling-up with a wipe of LSX around the joints.

Any best-practice suggestions very much appreciated.

Graham

Sponsored Links
Don`t use iron fittings on a cylinder in 3 years time when they have rotted from the inside out they go ping as they suddenly fall apart not a gradual leak followed by 100 litres plus off water through the ceiling if its on cold feed

Sponsored Links
sorry, I was being lazy in my language. I meant the usual male/female compression couplers - I guess they're brass :)

i ptfe the copper faces.. usually fine .. dont over tighten but most important leave the fittings accesible

GrahamT said:
I usually use PTFE on the threads, and immersion washer+compound on the immersion/blanking plate, but have had the odd weep just as the whole system gets to maximum head!

I've now started doubling-up with a wipe of LSX around the joints.
Me too, and for the same reasons I suspect.

Most cylinder bosses are a pain in the a*se, I think because of the lack of care taken in manufacture.

Recently a pair of us were replacing a cylinder connected in a mish-mash of 24mm and 28mm pipework, and the only cylinder without a huge wait had 1 1/4" tappings. The secondary boss was so poorly tapped that no MI fitting would go all in the way in. We ended up leaving it sticking out until the cylinder heated up and expanded, and then screwing it home with LSX to boot. The b*stard thing still leaked of course, but only at a "self-healing" rate.

Yes I wrecked a bottom immersion of a combi made a loss of £150 on that job and took me a full day to do so as I had many attenpts at saving it. Just had to go and buy another in the end.

The manufacturers make them then spray the foam where you don't need it, then they get two mallets and oval all the 1" male connections betweent eh mallets, then they play roll the cylinder round the factory roof and for the finale drop it into the loading bay.

I put jet blue on the faces of the cylinder unions and jet blue on the immersion gasket. Say a prayer before during and after assembling ever single joint most gingerly, and always put a drain off in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back