Cylinder Stat Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've been having a problem with my cental heating. It has only been coming on when the water in the cylinder needs heating, ie 1st in morning or evening. Once water has reached a certain temp the CH goes off also.

Anyway after to speaking to a plumber colleague at work today he thought that it would be the cylinder stat that was faulty. He said to take the stat off the tank and that should allow the room stat to call for the CH to come on. So I took off the stat and within a 30 secs the 3 port valve kicked into action and the heating came on :D

Now my question is does this definitely signify that the cylinder stat is knackered? Also how long is it safe to leave the cylinder stat off the tank?

Thanks

Bread

Sponsored Links
that don't tell me the cyl stats knackered that tells me the orange wire on the 3 port is not becoming live when only heating called for and relying on the hot water call to activate the boiler.

so i'm saying your micro switch in the 3 port is knackered.
you've proved the cyl stat is working by removing it from the cyl and the boiler then fires up.

As above. What your colleague at work told you makes no sense. There would be no control at all over the hot water cylinder temperature at all if the cylinder stat was not functioning.

Thanks, that makes sense I guess. I will look at perhaps getting the 3 port valve replaced.

I have now put back on the cyliner stat and turned it down to see if it would shut off the CH but as of yet it hasn't closed the 3 port valve, as it normally would once the HW is satisfied?

Sorry, i'm trying to get my head around it but my knowledge is limited :(

Sponsored Links
if you have put stat back and turned it down so valve has now closed hw port the valve will motor right across to heating only and may of operated the micro switch.
sometimes if the valve spindle is getting sticky they can open but fail to hit the m/switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back