Cylinder vent pipe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

A mate of mine is thinking about adding a hot water cylinder with an electric element to supply the bathroom. He has a combi and the flow rate is very slow to the bath.

Due to the fact the loft has been converted to a bedroom the space for a cold water tank is tight. I have found a "coffin" tank that will fit BUT the tank will have to be about 6 foot to the left and about 10 foot back from the location of the airing cupboard on the floor below.

The question is: Is it safe / correct to have a vent pipe that heads up through the ceiling of the airing cupboard, then goes left for about 6 foot then "back" for 10 foot before heading up and over the tank ?

I have search the Internet and can't find very much to say it's a “no no”, but as the vent pipe is a very important part of the safety of the installation I wanted to be sure.

Thanks,
Paul.

Sponsored Links
Another of my "done that" obscure stories. Put a vent pipe out through a roof once. similar reason to yours-years ago. Did I contravene any regs, guys over to you. ;)

common practice in the olde days still see the odd one now and again

bripl said:
common practice in the olde days still see the odd one now and again
Thanks M8, well I am an odd old fart now. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Running the pipe through the roof is not really an option unless my mate wants to create a 22mm "pole" in the bedroom - I don't think I should go there within earshot of his other half ;)

Why not have an unvented cylinder combined with the combi, its only money.

As long as the vent rises continually,and is protected from freezing in loft then it`s OK. and not less than 22mm :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back