Daily gas consumption (when central heating off / in summer)

You mean kill the boiler/tank at the mains/fuse? I haven't tried

I can report that when the immersion heater was in use - on a day when we were not cooking or using heating but just using shower the gas meter would register no change. Maybe 0.1 or 0.2 m3 when cooking.

Since switching off the immersion heater the gas consumption is never less than 2.7 m3 per day (so about 30kwh ) even when no cooking or heating is used.

So I'm taking that to indicate it's the supply of the hot water that is draining the energy.

thanks

Sponsored Links
2.7cu m of gas for hot water only, let us see 30Kwh, at roughly say 3p/kw for gas comes to 90p plus standing charge, which sure looks a little high,your storage tank boiler mate seems the culprit, heat loss, a combi boiler can reduce this substantially, almost to less than half, or even nil, if not using any hot water at all, but at a little disadvantage to problems with someone using hot water in kitchen and waters starves in a bathroom especially in an upstairs bath.

I have also sent you a PM regarding comparing a consumption with a property of similar size to yours but felt that critics will overload the critic bandwagon and break it into pieces! so please check your inbox. ( that gets rid of the critics who must butt in with n o meaningful discussion but for insults and disruption )

Last edited:
On the plus side, you've got your electricity bill way down and you have one very warm cupboard :)

if your CH is truly cold, then why isn't your house cold? All that heat from burning gas must be going somewhere.

Your figure of gas used on a day when the heating is on is about right for March, maybe a bit on the low side.

Sponsored Links
Please can i ask which method did you use to get this figure
Home Gas Consumption
- Without central heating our house now seems to use 2.7164 m3 / 30kw a day.
Do you have any gas bills,is there any bills available from the previous occupier.
Your boilermate 3 could be faulty so it may need an expert to examine it or it could be working within its limitations for an appliance around 15-20 years old.
If you own the property then alterations including cylinder upgrade would improve the hw efficiency ,if you are a tenant and believe your gas bills are excessive tell your landlord.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks very much for the additional energy comparison Mike. will check out the PM.

if your CH is truly cold, then why isn't your house cold? All that heat from burning gas must be going somewhere.

The house is very cold! but we’ve been putting up with it while we try to figure out what is creating the high energy consumption and to try keep the bills down til we know.

Your figure of gas used on a day when the heating is on is about right for March, maybe a bit on the low side.

I guess that figure being 'normal' does depend though on how much heating you get for your 60kwh.
60Kwh was aprox for four hours central heating, thermostat on about 20°C + 2 showers + gas hob.

Please can i ask which method you used to get this figure
Home Gas Consumption
- Without central heating our house now seems to use 2.7164 m3 / 30kw a day.

sure.
I took readings every day for the past few weeks.
Calculated consumption each day by the change in the meter.
For the days when central heating was set off I calculated the average consumption.

2.7164 is the average daily consumption in m3

30kw was worked out using the following calculation (as recommended by scottish gas):
gas units x calorific value (39.1) x volume correction 1.02264 ÷ 3.6

thanks

Has anyone looked up the heat loss of that thermal store?

Is the lid on it?

2.7164 is the average daily consumption in m3

30kw was worked out using the following calculation (as recommended by scottish gas):
gas units x calorific value (39.1) x volume correction 1.02264 ÷ 3.6

yes, but 2.7164 x 11.1 = 30.15 which is quicker, and pretty near.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back