Daisy chain down lights - continuous cable or two branches?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am currently in the process of replacing the lighting in my hallway.

The existing light is a single fitting, which sits halfway down the hall, directly below a junction box (pictured). The light is wired to two switches in the hallway.

My plan is to

- replace the current junction box with a large wago box, and rework the connections with wagos.
- replace the lighting flex with 1.5mm T&E running to the LEDs
- daisy chain 5 of these LED down lights (manufacturer guidance is no more than 6 daisy chained)
- terminate at the last light on the chain

The only issue I have is that, because the junction box is halfway down the hall, if I used a single run of cable for all lights, I would need to go to one end of the hallway and then double back (i.e. JB - light 1 - light 2 - double back past the junction box - light 3 - light 4 - light 5).

The other option that occurs to me is to replace the current flex with two runs of 1.5mm, one branch going to light 1 - light 2 and the other branch going to light 3 - light 4 - light 5

If there any reason that I cannot branch to two cables, rather than just use one run?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
- replace the lighting flex with 1.5mm T&E running to the LEDs
1mm² will be more than enough.

- daisy chain 5 of these LED down lights (manufacturer guidance is no more than 6 daisy chained)
Can't think why that would be.

- terminate at the last light on the chain
Ok.?

The only issue I have is that, because the junction box is halfway down the hall, if I used a single run of cable for all lights, I would need to go to one end of the hallway and then double back (i.e. JB - light 1 - light 2 - double back past the junction box - light 3 - light 4 - light 5).

The other option that occurs to me is to replace the current flex with two runs of 1.5mm, one branch going to light 1 - light 2 and the other branch going to light 3 - light 4 - light 5

IS there any reason that I cannot branch to two cables, rather than just use one run?
No.

Thank you @EFLImpudence. Very much appreciated.

It's taken me the whole evening faffing around with figuring out a good pattern, while avoiding the joists, so any time saved tomorrow will be a great help! :)

Thanks for all the other points too. I'm only using 1.5mm because I have, but note your point about the 1mm being OK.

As for the 6 light limit, I think that 6 lights themselves will only draw 0.15amps so not sure why the limit is so low, but I only need 5 anyway.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back