Daisychain transformers for bathroom lighting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need a bit of help I am currently exchanging a single ceiling light in my bathroom for 5 12volt 50W downlighters. :D

Each downlighter is supplied with its own transformer - 65VA.

I know how to go about this install if it was 1 fitting and 1 transformer, however the additional 4 have thrown in some curve balls. :confused:

:?: Can I simply loop out of one transformer and into the next and so on as a 'spur' from the circuit or do I need to supply 240v to each transformer in turn?

Your responses would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The cable could be looped from one to the next if the terminals in the transformer are large enough.
If not, one or more junction boxes could be used. Any connections must remain accessible for future inspection.

This is notifiable work, and please read the many other discussions regarding downlighters and such topics as fire hoods, vapour seals, insulation, energy wastage and so on.

Thanks Flameport,

The transformers have two sets of terminals at the 240v end (L_N N_L) with an output connector including plug for fitting at the 12v end.

Presumably L_N in and L_N out at the 240v end??

I will be sure to check the other info regarding this subject, I have already reviewed a fair bit!

Sponsored Links
Nice one TTC,

I was actually thinking that would be the best way to go, only question I have is how I terminate the earth at the last transformer?
Is it sufficient to terminate into a terminal block / earth block?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back