Damage above Artex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if in wrong section
New house and shower tray in ensuite needed some fresh sealant. Below it in the lounge the artex was very slightly flakey, so we've removed some to see if there's any sign of water damage.

See pic below. It's dry but there's some holes there and filler by the looks. Spoke with previous owner who said they had a small leak a few years ago and homeserve came out to repair it then they had a new bathroom fitted a year later.

Should we be concerned at the state of the ceiling? Have used the shower a few times since sealing and no signs of water leaking yet...

Attachments

• PXL_20231102_203955481.jpg
    PXL_20231102_203955481.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 39
Sponsored Links
If that's the extent if the damage it looks fairly straightforward to fill, then some textured coating, fortunately that is an uncomplicated pattern to replicate

That looks fairly straightforward to fill, then some textured coating, fortunately that is an uncomplicated pattern to replicate
Thanks, we're not too concerned about repairing it, just why it's in that state and should we be worried about potential water damage

Okay so pressed around this section to see how it feels. I managed to press some of the it in which isn't a good sign but does show me that the round things in pic are nails. They look to be going into the floorboards. No signs of fresh damp so far but may add this to the plumbing section to get some other options before filling and fixing it up

Attachments

• PXL_20231105_124342261.jpg
    PXL_20231105_124342261.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 28
Sponsored Links
Dig out any soft plaster, fill then once dry apply some more filler and stipple with a sponge to replicate the pattern. If its dry then the shower is not leaking there.

I don't think you will need to add it the plumbing section most people will pick up various issues across a range of the forums.

Thanks. You think looking at the old plaster theres no real need to go up to the floorboard and check for moisture or would it likely make its way down to the plaster if the leak was still happening?

If it was still leaking your ceiling would be stained/wet.

I'll get on to repairing it then. So remove more of the old filler in that section then use some filler and create similar pattern using just filler? Thanks

Let the initial filler set before trying to replicate the pattern using a further thin layer and sponge.

I use one stop,light easy to use and smooth but you may need polyfilla for the final layer to replicate the pattern.

So no need for plaster or paint to create pattern once filled??

No. scrape out the loose stuff, fill, dry, polyfilla to get the pattern, dry, paint. Crack on with it you could be done by this time tomorrow if you fill it tonight.

@Old Salt out of curiosity why is the filler you recommend better than say the everbuild all purpose mixed filler? Double the amount for same price, so just wondering. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back