Damage to laminate worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, this is my first post so be gentle.................

How long would it take a the compressed chipboard in a standard (say B&Q) laminate worktop to swell up when water is poured on it if the laminate was damaged? I've added a photo af the affected worktop [/img]

Sponsored Links
I know its fooked but how long did it take water to make it that fooked? Note it's above an oven so probably the laminate has been separated from the chipboard

ok enlighten us into your inner thinking

the answer you will get can only be an educated guess as thats an unusual pattern off dammage

we need to see the proximity of other sources of heat and damp like sinks tumble dryers and dish washers the dishwasher being the machine most likley to give that sort off dammage without burn marks

are you the landlord the tennenant or the claimee in a claim!!

Sponsored Links
Hi Big All,

A friend of mine was asked to pay for a new kitchen because of the damage you see. The tenant below his flat says there was water dripping onto the worktop for around an hour. I don't see it swelling that much in an hour but thought I'd ask you guys for your opinion.
cheers

Ston

Looks worse than I would've thought for just an hour of dripping. Likely the worktop has seen better days anyway, looks pretty old. The bloke might be trying it on, but if there definitely was a leak then your pal hasn't a leg to stand on.

I would dismiss his claim, the oven is not fitted correctly , the underside should be sealed over an oven to prevent the steam from such opening up the laminate as has happened.A hours dripping would cause very localised minor damage , that looks like years of neglect/abuse.

Interesting comments guys. I have more photos of the wallpaper etc and there is a little bubbling but very little damage which is why I asked the question about the laminate .
The problem is my mates landlord paid up for a new kitchen and now wants to take him to court to recoup the cost. My mate said there was no water noticeable in his flat

the return seems to have expanded nearly as much as the worktop with the oven,that seems to be an awful amount of damage for an hours leak.

The problem is my mates landlord paid up for a new kitchen and now wants to take him to court to recoup the cost. My mate said there was no water noticeable in his flat

So his landlord paid up to the guy beneath, taking the guy beneaths claim on face value without even first checking for a leak in his (the landlord) own property?? If there is no evidence of any leak then who's to say the guy downstairs didn't just let a pan boil over?

I'd say "ok, see you in court"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back