damage to plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
Had a leak and water has damaged hallway ceiling and walls. Badly stained. Best thing to do? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Wait for everything to dry out, then give the areas a couple of coats of oil based undercoat.
I have done this in the past and it worked a treat.

It is brand new plaster throughout house. The hallway was all boarded before plastering. Plumber caused leak. I want it back to how it was. Why should I have to paint over stains? Is it guaranteed?

Sponsored Links
That's the thing with plasterboard, if it gets wet through a leak etc, it normally ruined, full stop. If the plumber caused the leak that did the damage, then it's his responsibility to pay for any damage. This would be covered through his business Public Liability Insurance. Quite often, it's better to replace any damaged areas of water damaged plasterboard, and get them replaced, then re-skimmed. So to re-cap, speak to your plumber about the problem leak you say HE caused, leading to the damage,done to your ceiling and walls in the Hallway, and take it from there. You shouldn't have to pay a penny in getting this sorted out, his Public Liability Insurance should pay for that.

Last edited:
Gone through his public liabilty. Loss adjuster came this week and says hallway ceiling can come down but walls fine. The walls are badly stained. I painted it with paint for new plaster but it has brown and pink marks on it. The water was raining through the ceiling and the salt/effervescence was on outside wall! He has said just to use the stain blocker paint. I'm worried that won't work and have problems in future. I want my house back to how it was. Am I over-reacting? It was mains water through hot fed. The paint on architrave is just peeling off. PS I'm female!

Hmm,, hard to say what to do then Elligabe. I would agree with you that you want the job back as it was, and no, you're not over-reacting. If you're not happy with this situation at the moment, i'd go and have a chat with Trading Standards and see what they say about it. When you have a job done, you want to be happy with the whole thing, not have a question mark hanging over it. As I said earlier, when plasterboard get wet, especially when "running water" goes over it, it damages the integrity of the plasterboard itself. It's all very well the loss adjuster saying "just use a stain blocker", but it might need more than that. To remove and re-plasterboard the walls would be the best way to go in my opinion, and maybe the Trading Standards would say that too. Have a chat with them and see what they think. Remember, the customer is always right. Let us know how you get on.

Forgot to say Elligabe, keep in touch with the plumber too,,,, let him know that you're not happy, and what your plans are.

Ok thanks. Had offer from insurance today. Not happy. Text plumber. No reply. I have told no-one what he has done as not done on purpose. But maybe I could.

Who recommended the plumber to you? p.s. I agree with everything roughcaster said,,,

He was recommended by company who supplied my bathroom suite. So you agree that plasterboards and plaster could be damaged by water? Badly stained but not bubbled/blown so loss adjuster saying it is fine.

Trading Standards would advise you on the best way forward with your problem. Another thing too. You shouldn't have to do ANY painting/decorating etc. That should all be done through the plumber's liability insurance as well.

Hi. Any more opinions on this would be great. I'm fighting insurance as they say walls are fine. But decorator had told me that they are so badly stained that he wouldn't recommend using stain block. If it was his house he'd want the plaster off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back