Damaged Screw remover?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey there people can anyone recommend a tool for removing damaged machined screws without causing damage to the fixing that the srew is threaded into?

Sponsored Links
Apart from the usual - drill the head off, then remove fitting and work on the stub with pliers, nothing springs to mind.

Sponsored Links
Ideally i would prefer one that doesnt damage the fixing that the screw goes into.

I think i have seen it on one of those home shopping channels goes onto the end of a drill, hit the drill onto reverse and out comes the screw!

Im sure i have seen this somewhere before LOL totally cant think where !

Do not use the deeply ironically named "Easy Outs" which are like a pointed worm with a thread on it. They usually snap off (they are very hard) embedded in the screw or stud, and are a hundred times more difficult to get out.

A left-handed drill of various kinds often works, as the heat and vibration will often loosen the stud and wind it out. If you can drill accurately enough, you can drill the stud out and pick out the remaining bits of thread. I doubt you could do this freehand.

What is the thing you are taking the screw out of? What material are the screw and the hole? Is it rusted or what? Is there any head left? Can you use the pencil flame of a torch on it?

Machined metal screw into machined metal fixing, holding two sheets of metal together, and the head was chewed on the cross head screw - couldnt remove it so had to drill it out and remake a fixing with a metal edging clip.

Just wasted alot of time over a screw! whereas if there was a tool to remove damaged screws in a oner! it would save alot of hassel.

Machined metal screw into machined metal fixing, holding two sheets of metal together, and the head was chewed on the cross head screw - couldnt remove it so had to drill it out and remake a fixing with a metal edging clip.

Just wasted alot of time over a screw! whereas if there was a tool to remove damaged screws in a oner! it would save alot of hassel.

I've had success in the past using a dremel to cut a slot in the screw and then use a slotted screwdriver to remove.

I linked to these:

http://tinyurl.com/lapajd

"Remove damaged screws without damaging the surrounding material. Simply fit the damaged screw remover into a drill, switch to reverse and drill the screw out, the special head design cuts into the screw removing it effortlessly."

Did you not look at the link?

Ideally i would prefer one that doesnt damage the fixing that the screw goes into.
"Remove damaged screws without damaging the surrounding material."

I think i have seen it on one of those home shopping channels goes onto the end of a drill, hit the drill onto reverse and out comes the screw!
"fit the damaged screw remover into a drill, switch to reverse and drill the screw out, the special head design cuts into the screw removing it"

:confused: :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back