damp and mould on walls and ceiling

Render was sometimes applied - wrongly or otherwise - if the pointing of the brickwork was poor, or the bricks were spalling (splitting due to frost).
Some people just fancied a different colour! Either way it should ideally stop at DPC level, and a good tradesman would flare the edge out to cast water clear of the building.
It does seem that the render needs attention now, and then a coat of masonry paint. If the render is loose it will have a hollow sound when its tapped with a hammer.
As ever, good luck with your project!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks John - no doubt I'll be back soon with another crisis!
Take care and thank you,
Myanne

I personally think you have issues inside because of the cracks in the render outside. There are a lot of cracks in the render that would be letting water thru, and also I would check out the crack above the window which might indicate that a lintol has failed if it is wooden. And also you are going to get a lot of condensation from the gas heating which doesn't help especially if you have no ventilation....Maybe you could have the outside hacked off and pointed up and re rendered with a weaker mix. But these are suggestions that can be explained to you if you get the right tradesmen around to discuss the problem and be truthful with you ,And when that has happened come back on here and let us give you our opinions before you do anything ;) And by the reflection in the window you look like my kinda woman. ;) But alas I know alastair is in front of me in the queue.. :LOL:

Thanks for helping out Roy!
I've really taken on board what you said about the render causing issues inside. That could really explain a lot. What I don't understand is how does the rain get through the brickwork underneath? Is it because the bricks need re-pointing? And you're right - the latest problem has only just started when we put the heating on so there is definitely a connection with ventilation.
I would love to have a tradesman round to sort it all out but where I live in north Kent there are so many rogue tradesmen that you have to be so careful. We have had the guttering "fixed" twice now and there's still problems. They never come back to fix it. We've had a problem on the roof done and that still causes a leak by the chimney. It gets to the point where you don't know who to trust. I wish you lot were all down here. If the house gets any worse I'm moving up north!
I will look for a tradesman who can come out and give his opinion and then get back to you but I may be some time finding one.
Again thanks for your valuable advice.
Take care,
Myanne
ps ....photo done with rain pouring down...felt like a drowned rat and had my apron on in the middle of doing Sunday lunch. There's hope! ;)

Sponsored Links
You shouldn't be calling people out to give you free advice, you wouldn't do it with a solicitor or accountant. Not only that, the advice you are likely to receive will be wrong. Unless you live right on the coast and the rain comes in sideways the house doesn't need rendering in the first place.

Look around where you live. Are there houses with just naked brick? There are? Yet they don't have damp issues? That suggests that the render is part of the PROBLEM, not part of the solution.

You need to EMPLOY an experienced independent damp surveyor, to make an assessment and program of remedial action, or you'll just flush your money down the gurgle.

So Anne if you ever win the lottery and decide to renovate your property and restore it to its original glory you can follow joes advice :unsure:

In the meantime repairing the render, the gutter and removing the bush will go a long way to improving matters.

No it won't. The render is the problem.

What about the houses that have no render? Why aren't they damp? Why is the render cracking? That wall is under the eaves and gets little if any rain. How can that wall get damp from microscopic cracks?

The moisture is migrating through the render in the cracks aplenty!
The moisture wont dry out trapped behind the blown render it will penetrate to the inside...the gutter is leaking, there is vegetation growing against the wall...

You are being pedantic again joe.

No you've got it completely the wrong way around. The render is trapping the damp in the house and not letting it breathe. It's a mismatch of systems (old v new). That is why a surveyor is required.

Yes but the moisture is coming from INSIDE and re-rendering will make it worse. Why do you think the render is cracking?

I know the physics joe!

We all know about lime render, plaster etc ......BUT...

There are cracks in the render a leaking gutter and a bush shading exactly where the dampness is, if she does remedial work it will improve matters.

The damp wall is being caused by penetrating dampness here!

Yes but the moisture is coming from INSIDE and re-rendering will make it worse. Why do you think the render is cracking?

Have a look at the pictures she took joe You will see what alastair means... ;) .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back