Damp Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I bought my first property a ground floor flat and had a shower fitted, however I didn't get any extractor fan fitted (thought would be ok or would be expensive with having to knock through external wall). Since doing this I suffered from damp and mould all over bathroom and some other rooms a dehumidifier seems to have controlled it and stopped in other rooms, however the problem still in bathroom and woodlice appearing on a daily basis.Shower is installed in bath.im needing any advice to solve. Also problem only arisen since installing shower.PLease please help.

Sponsored Links
You must have good ventilation in any bath/shower room. When you use the shower, keep the bathroom door shut to avoid moisture from entering the other rooms & always open the window slightly. You really need to get a decent fan fitted but even then, crack the window open slightly; a fan must be able to draw fresh air in order to push the moist air out!

if you want to do DIY you can go to a tool hire shop and hire a 110mm Core Drill for a day. it will easily go through your wall and leave a neat hole. You have to line it with a plastic duct and put an cowelled vent with a non-return flap on the outside.

In a bathroom, an electric fan has to be fitted by an electrician who is a member of a self certification scheme who can do the documents for you (otherwise you have to go through Building regulations inspection which is more expensive)

the fan should be fitted so it comes on every time the bathroom light is switched on, and preferably runs on for 10 or 20 minutes with a timer.

If you can't afford to have the fan fitted yet, make the hole and fit the duct and cowl, and you can fit a plastic grille on the inside. This will give a certain amount of ventilation without you having to leave the window open.

Make the hole up high (as steam rises) but not directly above a bath or shower (as this would put up the fan cost because it has to be better protected against water)

It is best to do this sort of work before decorating or tiling. If you drill inwards from outside there will be less dust inside the house and the outside brickwork will be neat (the inside hole will be ragged but you can easily hide this with the grille and a bit of redecoration or tiling)

Sponsored Links
less than a day's work.

if you have the money, ask for a centrifugal fan (they're quieter and more powerful) with adjustable timer. Have it set initially for 10mins overrun but ask him to show you how to adjust this if you find the room isn't fully cleared of steam and damp after a shower (it depends how long you stay in there, with the light on, afterwards, cutting your toenails or whatever).

make sure you keep the fan instructions and guarantee. Get a well-known brand like Vent-Axia or Xpelair and it will last for years.
examples:
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;j...A?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=centrifugal+fan

this sort of cowl has a anti-draught flap inside. Don't get the ones like little venetian blinds because they rattle annoyingly and break off in strong winds.
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/14789/Heating-Cooling/Ducting/Cowl-Vent-Brown

Well with it being ground floor flat it'll need to go straight outside.With the woodlice does that just come with damp ?

woodlice eat damp and rotting wood (they have practically no teeth so can't gnaw sound wood). They have to lay their eggs in moisture (they are related to lobsters but not quite so tasty).

Woodlice in the home are a bad sign.

I don't mind paying to get whole drilled and fan fitted but is it a fortune?

It will be a lot less than the problems you will get from dampness if you don't fit one

But also check the shower installation (tray, drain connection and enclosure) to make sure that the woodlice are there solely from condensation moisture and not a leaking installation

Don't get the ones like little venetian blinds because they rattle annoyingly and break off in strong winds.
I got round this by gluing 2 round flat lead weight (351) on each flap behind as the lead is normally for the bottom of curtains, you cannot hear any rattle now :D ;)

image03.jpg

my main worry is the woodlice I know I need to sort the ventalation.How can I tell if its the bath or worse the floor boards rotted.

have a look. pull up the flooring and pull out the bath panel. you may be able to smell it as well as see and feel it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back