damp bedroom wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, what is causing this damp wall ?
cottage with 50cm thick stone wall. this is upstairs bedroom. the roof is pitched
without a roof space. the damp as you can see is the while wall but generally start from the top and spreads downwards.
20240109_083305.jpg
20240109_083259.jpg

Attachments

• 20240109_083305.jpg
    20240109_083305.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 20
Sponsored Links
The pattern looks like liquid water running down not surface condensation on a cold wall. Could be leaking roof or just possibly a huge amount of loft condensation. If it had a non-breathable cold membrane, and an open air path to the nice warm humid air from the house below conceivably there could be enough condensation to cause that, but I think I'd be looking at leaks first. What possibly points away from a leak is the fact that it isn't a very localised damp patch.

Get up in that loft and have a look. It just conceivably could also be a leaking water pipe.

hi thanks, we don't have a roof space on that part of the house. no pipes either up there. it does dry up considerably in the summer even when we get rain. it got a lot worse since the temp has dropped over the last week ? so could be condensation then ?

Sponsored Links
If you don't have a roof space you can get in to, and there is nothing obvious from the ground, I would cut a neat hole in the ceiling to get a good look at what is happening in the roof void. It's impossible to guess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back