Damp blown screed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Would anybody mind casting an eye over this and letting me know if im thinking along the right lines?

Ive recently moved into my first house and the screed floor in a small extension (less than a couple years old) has lifted and cracked all over.

I thought it might be damp or condensation from ontop of the slab underneath as ive found a couple signs of slight water damage on one edge of laminate flooring where the old front room meets the edge of the extension.

Had a poke around and the extension back wall has a double layer of damp course 3 bricks apart (possible because my garden in on a steep slope?).
The first layer was compleately supmerged under damp muddy pea shingle used in a 8inch gap between a patio and the wall and the bricks look wet. This looks to me like it would be just under the floor level letting moisture in, while the upper layer of damp course has protected the walls.

Im digging it all out below the membrane to see if it all drys out before getting a professional in to redo the floor.

Do i need to do anything else? And what would you recomend i do about the patio gap so this doesnt happen again?

Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• wall1.jpg
    wall1.jpg
    470.3 KB · Views: 67
  • wall2.jpg
    wall2.jpg
    609.5 KB · Views: 66
  • wall 3.jpg
    wall 3.jpg
    551.1 KB · Views: 67
Sponsored Links
Pictures of garden would help.

Andy
Done sorry took me a while to figure it out.

I've already dug the stones out so i labeled one of the pictures, the stones were level with the raised patio.

Cheers

That down pipe doesn't help, can that de re-directed?

You also need to remove more stones so that they are 150mm below the dpc.

Andy

Sponsored Links
That down pipe doesn't help, can that de re-directed?

You also need to remove more stones so that they are 150mm below the dpc.

Andy

Yeah i could move it to the nearside corner so the bulk of the water stays away from that wall. Just checked the water run and while not rapid it does run towards the drain, unfortunetly it seems to drain through a small hole in the concrete the extension is built on rather than make it to the drain...

Starting to feel like im pulling at a never ending thread.

Attachments

• hole.jpg
    hole.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 53
Maybe get help with someone to draw a few simple, dimensioned wall/ground section views for each elevation ?
You, & anyone doing floor work for you, need a clear mental picture of where your FFL's stand in relation to the ground levels outside.

There also seems to be a damp issue at the knock-through threshold?
Why not post pics showing the extension floor, & the damp laminate flooring area?
It might seem obvious where the damp is coming from but on investigation it might be coming from somewhere else?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back