damp brickwork at bottom of wall?

28 Sep 2023
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I am considering buying a house but noticed the bottom of the walls appears damp and damaged (see photo). I am concerned as this a pretty new house (built 2010) so am surprised to see this. Is it something to be concerned about and what is the best cause of action?
thanks, Maffy.
ps. Anyone know what the 'strange' cylindrical object is attached to the wall?

damp brickwork.jpg
Sponsored Links
thanks for your reply. Any idea what the 'thing' on the wall is? Can't see any cables/pipes going in or out and it looks like the top unscrews? I'm baffled!

thing on wall.jpg
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local