Damp Chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a problem with damp penetration in our bedroom wall and ceiling around the area of the front chimney stack see pic http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/reevesie/house.jpg so had the lead gutter replaced, new soakers and bottom part of chimney re-rendered and pebbledashed as all were knackered. This has not cured problem and is more noticeable after a downpour. Could the problem be due to naff flaunchings and/or poor lining condition. i know when we exposed the fireplace (had fibreboard covering it) there was a load of soot and plaster in the hearth. Any suggestions would be helpful, i am scratching my head with this one

Sponsored Links
is the fireplace still covered or is it exposed so you can look up the chimney?

Thermo

The fireplace is open so in theory should be adequately ventilated

not my forte so i'm just guessing. there isn't a cowl or pot on the chimney does this mean that there is just an open hole? if so that may be your problem.

dj.

Sponsored Links
If the damp patch is appearing after rain then you almost certainly have running water coming in and looking at your photo the most likely place is the flashing above the chimney (providing the rest of your roof is sound).
If it is soaking the ceiling as well then next time its pouring with rain I would get in the attic and see if you can see it comming in.

Would agree with chappers , you have a back gutter, but from the piccy I dont see flashings to the sides of the chimney, is the render straight onto the tile ? are there flashings beneath this? if so have they recently been replaced?. There should be a plinth of at least a 100mm from tile to render with flashings cut into the brickwork and the render finished on a stop bead or bell cast.

If the damp patch is on the ceiling next to the chimney it really does look like a problem with the lead back gutter. I know that has been replaced but I would want to inspect it. I don't think you would see that problem from the loft because the ceiling must be sloping at that point. I agree that it would be a good idea to fit a ventilated cap on the pot anyway but I don't think that is the problem here.

Can't see the picture very well but the flashing don't look high enough to me.

legs-akimbo said:
Would agree with chappers , you have a back gutter, but from the piccy I dont see flashings to the sides of the chimney, is the render straight onto the tile ? are there flashings beneath this? if so have they recently been replaced?. There should be a plinth of at least a 100mm from tile to render with flashings cut into the brickwork and the render finished on a stop bead or bell cast.

Originally the chimney had soakers with rendered finish over the top with no cover flashing, identical houses in the road have this and I assume the roofer was replacing like for like. The lead gutter above the chimney is new and extends about 6 inches up the side of the chimney and under the tile. Should the roofer have put in a cover flashing over the soakers? If so, I am surprised that none of the 4 roofers that quoted failed to mention the lack of flashing but did suggest replacing the soakers.

have you had the chimney swept, build ups of soot can help to hold damp and draw it through as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back