Damp concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We live in a (poorly) converted barn with a concrete floor slab. Just recently we have noticed damp patches on the carpets under solid items that have not been moved for a while. There is also white mould growing in these areas. Within 24 hours of exposing these areas they feel dry to the touch again and the mould can be hoovered uo (still stinks though!)

It seems like there's either no DPM or it's failed. I was thinking of sealing the floor with an epoxy damp-proof coating. I want to lay ceramic and wooden flooring at a later date. I'll use a heavy DPM under the wooden floor and epoxy coating under the tiles. Will the epoxy be ok to install electric (background) UFH onto?

The barn sits in a natural bowl on very heavy clay soil and water collects all the way around. If you dig down beside the house, there's a good foot of water against the foundations and that was last year when it was dry! We are below the level of a pond that must be 1/4 of an acre in size!
I'd like to install some sort of French drain, but there's nowhere to put a soakaway that isn't solid clay and wont leach back down the slope to the house! Would it be possible to connect this to the water company's sewer? Our drainpipes discharge into this anyway.

Anybody go any ideas? Apologies for the long post.
Thanks Simon

Sponsored Links
you are not allowed to put groundwater into the sewers.

You have been stuffed. The floor would have been better not being concrete as this will be affecting how the water can move. Stopping it's movement usually causes problems so putting an epoxy coat on top will probably cause more problems. You could really do with talking to a hydrologist. A suspended floor with airflow underneath will keep things drier. As you seem to be located about the bottom of a pond, it's probably why it was originally just a barn.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back