Damp concrete?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

V long story... basically we are (hopefully) completing on a bungalow on Friday coming, and would like to move in about a week or so later, subject to work being done etc.

The house is currently unoccupied (it's a repossession from a property developer (it comes with land) and has been vacant for about 8 months) and some points were raised on the survey about work that needed done. Nothing major, just lots of little things.

Back in Feb, I was told by our solicitor to get a quote for the work that needs done, and whilst showing contractors around the house, we discovered that a pipe had burst during a cold spell the week before and the bathroom ceiling had collapsed. The bathroom is at the end of a corridor and the carpet for the corridor and some of the adjacent bedrooms got soaked. Given that the whole house buying process has been soooo drawn out, the bathroom etc remains in the state in was in then and the carpets haven't been lifted. Luckily, we got a reduction in the price because of this, but the work is all ours to complete now!

Anyway, I was wondering what to do about the hallway and bedroom carpets. I'm not a carpet fan and had considered tiling the hallway maybe (same tile in entrance hall), and putting laminate flooring in the bedrooms, or putting laminate over the whole thing.

My question is this... Is the 2 months worth of soaking that the concrete floor has been subject to likely to affect the floors ability to take laminate in the near future? I know with new houses you have to wait for concrete to dry out, but in this case it's mostly surface damp. Would this be an issue? We will be getting dehumidifiers in this weekend, which should help dry out the walls anyway. Should I put in an extra one for the floor?

Apologies for the essay... :oops:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back