Damp - condition of brickwork after plaster removed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, can post a few pics later but a quick question first. I have a damp problem in hallway of 1930s semi. I have removed skirting and all plaster up to dado height - about 3m length. All exposed brickwork looks dry, no damp smell and skirting and floor boards all dry. If it is penetrating (or rising) damp would you expect to see signs of moisture on the brickwork? After wallpaper removed the face of the plaster felt damp and was stained and black in places - could this be from condensation?

Sponsored Links
Others might say different but my view is yes bricks can get sopping wet with penetrating damp or drains related damp ie a situation where there is a lot of water about the place.

If it is lack of airflow damp or rising damp you don't see moisture so much on the brickwork as it tends to be salts in the plaster attracting water vapour from inside and there are generally much smaller amounts of water involved, it doesn't take a lot to muck up the plaster.

Yes condensation could be involved if you are near the kitchen say and that isn't well ventilated. Sometimes it can be more than one cause though so important to bear that in mind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back