Damp course

mkb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, just in the process of buying a property that is being re-furbished. Looks like some kind of damp course is being put in....bottom 2foot or so of plaster removed and some kind of blue sheeting stuck to wall. Am I right and what is this sheeting stuff amd how does it work ?

Sponsored Links
Hi, what you describe sounds like an upturned membrane from maybe a new concrete floor. It definately is not a damp course and maybe if the wall was showing signs of damp it is someones idea of tanking to cure it. Dos'nt sound quite right to me, got any pictures?

Hi all, just in the process of buying a property that is being re-furbished. Looks like some kind of damp course is being put in....bottom 2foot or so of plaster removed and some kind of blue sheeting stuck to wall. Am I right and what is this sheeting stuff amd how does it work ?
:eek:
thats a new one by me...............can anyone educate me :cry:

Got no pics unfortunately. But its as you say it's kind of sitting on the floor and goes up the wall where plaster has been removed about 2 foot or so on the front outside wall and the internal wall between lounge and staircase which goes up centre of house. Its stuck to the wall with like round plastic things !! Sorry bit vague I know ...hope you can help.

Sponsored Links
Hi again MKB, From what you describe it could possibly be an Oldroid membrane system designed to cope with a damp wall. if the membrane sits off the wall by approx 15mm, which is what the " round things " job is to do that is possibly what it is. However to cut back plaster to only two feet up the wall still dos'nt sound right, has the property had a damp survey ?If not I would suggest you have a professional damp survey undertaken to determine if there is a problem or not, hope this helps.

Hi just checked Oldroid web site and yes that's what's on the walls. So now I know. Any more advice at all ?

I've seen this used when tanking basements as a membrane and plasterboard can be fixed to it without piercing or damaging the membrane.

Not sure whats going on with your house though as it clearly shouldnt be exposed like that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back