Damp external brick work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have noticed a run of external bricks which are quite damp (so damp that moss is growing on them). This is a run about 2 bricks wide running the vertical length of the wall (which is a bout a single storey, as it is above our side return roof). Pictures attached.

This is our bathroom wall. Internally, a large mirror, about 4 feet long, is glued (I think) to the other side of the wall. There is a gap between the wall and the mirror at the top.

We have an odd problem internally above the mirror, where a brown sludge appears on the paint work. It can be wiped away, but it soon returns.

I am wondering whether the wall behind the mirror has become damp from condensation when we shower/bath, and the plaster is wicking the damp to the external brickwork. Is this possible?

(I can't see what else might be causing the problem).

I suppose the mirror needs to come down (which doesn't seem like much fun) so I can take a better look. If that is the problem, what should I do?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I have noticed a run of external bricks which are quite damp (so damp that moss is growing on them). This is a run about 2 bricks wide running the vertical length of the wall (which is a bout a single storey, as it is above our side return roof). Pictures attached.

This is our bathroom wall. Internally, a large mirror, about 4 feet long, is glued (I think) to the other side of the wall. There is a gap between the wall and the mirror at the top.

We have an odd problem internally above the mirror, where a brown sludge appears on the paint work. It can be wiped away, but it soon returns.

I am wondering whether the wall behind the mirror has become damp from condensation when we shower/bath, and the plaster is wicking the damp to the external brickwork. Is this possible?

(I can't see what else might be causing the problem).

I suppose the mirror needs to come down (which doesn't seem like much fun) so I can take a better look. If that is the problem, what should I do?

Many thanks.

Your gutters are just about falling to self drain, but they are leaving the debris behind - at some future date maybe re-clip the gutters to falls.

What are the two wastes, that enter the soil pipe, draining?
They've been DIY'ed in and water could be entering the roof/wall at that area.
Have you examined that loft area?

The bathroom extractor will be helpless against any moisture coming through the wall or ceiling.

Do the walls have a narrow cavity?

Look below the gutter at the 45 degree fitting(s) on the soil pipe and what looks like leakage, or perhaps, merely blown debris, is showing.

The rooftile with the pipework protruding under it looks suspect!

If rainwater is passing through that area it can run down behind the fascia board and down the wall.

I would get that checked first.

Beaten to it by the yank! :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Just noticed that the soil pipe doesn't appear to have been clipped.

Much on view in the pics appears to be DIY work.
Which is fine if it works but if it doesn't work...?

Thanks everyone.

I did wonder about that pipe work. Not DIY, I think- but done as part of a loft conversion- the two pipes going into the soil pipe take water away from a bathroom in the loft. The conversion predates us moving in. Maybe not the best job...

I don't think the wall has a narrow cavity (or any cavity- it's a 1910 house), but I'm not absolutely certain.

I don't think it's a leak in the 45 degree joint with the soil pipe- I couldn't see any leaking when I ran ****wr through the pipess, and in any event that bathroom is not used regularly so not that much water passes through those pipes.

Unfortunately, it's impossible to see into that part of that loft- lots of criss-crossing pipe work and electricals plus insulation etc mean that it would take an almighty effort to be able to see that pipe work up close from the inside. I'd much rather see about sorting it from the outside first.

By the sounds of your advice, it would be worth getting a roofer to take a look at the waterproofing at and around the roof tiles with the protruding pipes. And maybe to sort out the guttering clipping, and the soil pipe (though it's well secured elsewhere).

Does that sound like a ensible course of action?

Thanks again

Yes! get the roofer to remove the tiles above the waste pipes and fit the proper weathering slates.

With any luck that may cure the dampness.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back