Old damp proof holes in bricks

Sponsored Links
ive asked this question on here many times to the people who say 'rising damp doesnt exist',if thats the case then why do we install dpm in walls and floors ??? isnt this itself a waste of time?

Because we've been conditioned to do so, sorry end of.

Once again I challenge, can anyone find a link online for rising damp regulations, that's not British related, I've tried and as far as I can gather there non existent, so does these mean dampness (of the rising variety) is exempt in these countries??...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
ive asked this question on here many times to the people who say 'rising damp doesnt exist',if thats the case then why do we install dpm in walls and floors ??? isnt this itself a waste of time?

To rip us off ?

Once again I challenge, can anyone find a link online for rising damp regulations, that's not British related, I've tried and as far as I can gather there non existent, so does these mean dampness (of the rising variety) is exempt in these countries??...pinenot :)

You've not tried very hard , rising damp is just as big a problem in Germany France Belgium Australia etc etc as in the UK.

[quote="tony1851"Are damp-proof courses in buildings unnecessary then?

This is beyond words.

Unless the bricks are below the water head (pressure of water v gravity) damp cannot rise unless the material it's rising in is equipped with one way valves and an impervious skin, like a tree, In fact moisture/damp can only rise to a height that the pressure behind it allows, it may wick up slightly above this, but not to any great degree. The bricks or blocks close to the ground are colder than the those above, and this variation can cause condensation.

"Hmm! therein lies a big pointer...the more we warm the building above the more rising damp becomes an issue, some companies have made their millions peddling this dogma! "

A search with Google returns only British links to damp proof courses, non other, is the rest of the world exempt from damp??...interesting subject[/quote]

No the rest of the world isn't exempt. Go to Venice where all the locals vacated ground floor apartments a long time ago due to rising damp. The rest of your post shows an incredibly poor understanding of the subject. Buildings can perform perfectly well without a DPC so long as the external ground level is 200mm below the internal finished floor level. It's all about having adequate wall base ventilation. I'm not going into detail about rising damp and how rare it is because I've done that elsewhere on this forum. However you can read my blog for a better understanding...
http://surveyingproperty.blogspot.co.uk/2013_02_01_archive.html#.UYYgS4y9KSM

I'm neither going to condone or disagree with your'e 'Blog' suffice to say that there are those enlightened building professionals, like myself, who can view earlier times buildings, their longevity of success and compare them to some of the poor dogma of today.

And strangely enough you have just proven my point - Venice according to the Union of Geological Sciences "Considering also the sea level rise, 23 cm loss in land elevation has occurred in the last century, leading to increased flooding events and environmental problems that require protective works." Antonio Brambati et all, 2003. it's not difficult to fathom, wouldn't you say?

Can state that at no time have I ever said that there are no case of rising damp, merely that it is subject to the laws of physics, until proven otherwise. Furthermore cases of so called 'rising damp' when looked at with a degree of pragmatism, almost always display some relevance to the water table assuming the whole geographical area is included in the calcs. I will also state, if sufficient drainage is installed to take 'rising damp' moisture bellow the water head, the building will remain dry.

I dear say there is a need to draw an analogy from all of this! so here goes...if you built a house on a piece of ground (including the depth of foundation dig) that sat, say 25 mm above the water table for the area, the suction inherent in bricks or blocks will not be sufficient to draw water - period, and a stone boulder sitting in a bog high enough to sit on will be dry unless it's raining - no rising damp...pinenot ;)

I'm neither going to condone or disagree with your'e 'Blog' suffice to say that there are those enlightened building professionals, like myself, who can view earlier times buildings, their longevity of success and compare them to some of the poor dogma of today.

And strangely enough you have just proven my point - Venice according to the Union of Geological Sciences "Considering also the sea level rise, 23 cm loss in land elevation has occurred in the last century, leading to increased flooding events and environmental problems that require protective works." Antonio Brambati et all, 2003. it's not difficult to fathom, wouldn't you say?

Can state that at no time have I ever said that there are no case of rising damp, merely that it is subject to the laws of physics, until proven otherwise. Furthermore cases of so called 'rising damp' when looked at with a degree of pragmatism, almost always display some relevance to the water table assuming the whole geographical area is included in the calcs. I will also state, if sufficient drainage is installed to take 'rising damp' moisture bellow the water head, the building will remain dry.

I dear say there is a need to draw an analogy from all of this! so here goes...if you built a house on a piece of ground (including the depth of foundation dig) that sat, say 25 mm above the water table for the area, the suction inherent in bricks or blocks will not be sufficient to draw water - period, and a stone boulder sitting in a bog high enough to sit on will be dry unless it's raining - no rising damp...pinenot ;)

Seriously, if I understood what you were actually saying then I'd comment but most of what you have written is incoherent and you appear to be conveniently changing your stance of certain factors. The height of the water table is of course a factor when considering the causes of rising damp, it is not the only factor.
'Assuming the whole geographical area is included in the calcs'? What on earth does that even mean and how do you actually do that? Defining the height of the water table requires nothing more than digging a trial pit to foundation level and seeing if it naturally fills with water.
Your point on Venice is incoherent and it's Brambati et al, not et all.
You might be an 'enlightened building professional' but with your writing style you have no chance of enlightening anyone else!

pinenot;

Just a littlle friendly advice;

The last line of Joe's post reiterates a point I made recently in another thread regarding your spelling and grammar.

You have an MSc and doubtless you are expert in some things, yet your writing is sometimes difficult to follow and your grasp of basic building terminology occasionally questionable.

Might I suggest you consider perusing the following two publications?

:)

Oh, and I challenge you to find a link online for British rising damp regulations (assuming you mean building regulations). British building regulations make no reference to rising damp. Approved document C, section 5.2, states that walls should: resist the passage of moisture from the ground to the inside of the building. This requirement is met if a damp proof course is provided of any material that will prevent the passage of moisture.
There are lots of potential moisture sources that could cause wall base damp so the regulations are not specifically written to mitigate for rising damp. So you see, the point you made is fundamentally flawed because there are no British, let alone foreign, rising damp regulations. Assuming you're at least right about the foreign regulations because I haven't checked but you seem to have checked ever so thoroughly... just not so much on the British regulations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back