brickwork advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I'm a bit worried that the brick mortar is crumbling away in my house below the damp proof course. House is fifty years old and I was wondering if this is normal. How do most house builders stop the damp and moisture below damp proof course eating away at their brick mortar?

I know it can't have helped matters that the previous owner layed patio slabs nearly level to the damp proof course. I have now taken away the patio slabs and dug down about four or five inches. The trouble is that the mortar on these lower rows has turned to the consistency of wet, crumbly sand. I was actually able to poke in a screwdriver all the way through into the cavity. Is my house going to fall down? I'm not sure what to do about this.

Tony

Sponsored Links
You normally specify a higher grade of brickwork below DPC level to resist frost and sulphates

Sponsored Links
view_photo.php

view_photo.php

view_photo.php

view_photo.php

view_photo.php

Masona, what do you think? This seems quite bad for a fifty-year-old house.

Cheers,

Tony

Tommy - cheers for the offer. I'm going to start a new post because I've made a pig's ear of this one :D

Thanks

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back