Damp floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all again.

Off the main bedroom upstairs, is a small room. Not really good for much apart from clothes storage/books etc etc. Its ceiling slopes very steaply which also makes it unusable.

The room is aprox 1500mm wide. Half of it is above a downstairs WC (see previos post re cold) and the other half is over my outside porch(ie it jots out from the house)

The problem I have is the floorboards at the very back of the room where the roof meets floor (sloping ceiling) are damp. Initaily I thought moisture was sliding down the sloping ceiling, however this is NOT the case, its bone dry.

So i lifted the floorboards, and apart from some of the joists where the floorboards had direct contact with, its bone dry.
The funny thing is, the damp is only on the boards which are over the outside porch, and not on the floorboards over the internal WC.

So, i think whats happening is the warm air is coming into contact with the very cold floorboards(area in general is cold due to crappy insualtion, soon to be fixed) and condensing and making the floorboards wet. Does this sound at all probable? I went and stood on the porch with the flash light, and between the wall and the wooden flashing,, I can see the actual joists and boards in question, so it will be letting in a lot of cold air.

Sponsored Links
I would agree with you, sound like it is to do with hot air meeting cold air. Insulation should do the trick..

Roughcaster.

Hello again craig - my money is on condensation so continue to invest in cans of foam if the area's small.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back