Floorboards Damp or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently moved in to a 1920's terrace, there are 3 small damp looking patches on the floorboards in the downstairs rooms. when you touch them residue is left on your fingers. So I though may be rot or damp.

I took a floorboard up to have a look underneath and the underneath surface of the floorboards are dry with no residue. There is no leaking pipes, and the under floor cavity is not bone dry but I would not really call it that damp either.

I tried cleaning a patch it sort of took the residue surface off but a couple of weeks later it was back as it was.

The patches are not changing size in anyway (smaller or bigger)

I have had 3 general builders opinions on it -
1)could be a bit of damp
2)could be some split oil type product
3)no idea

so any ideas what it could be and how to sort it if needs be?

Sponsored Links
If it's not getting worse and there's no water of any sort, why don't you peplace with new boards, and if they get wet stop spilling your tea/drinks on the carpet, :LOL: ;)

Put your cat, dog and small child outside for a few days.

Sponsored Links
we did initailly think it could be Mouse pee - but the patchs are to big - unless the mouse is a real drinker!

If I can avoid don't really want to replace the boards but it is looking like the only option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back