damp garage conversion to dry workshop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1960s single skin double garage that was detached but is now adjoined by a house extension. I need to turn it into a workshop so I can build an aeroplane in it. (wife thinks I am off my head). The garage is always damp in winter and smells of old cellar but needs to be dry and warm. It has a concrete floor, a damp course 2 bricks up from the floor and I have had the roof and wall caps renovated recently. The outside is rendered and painted recently. There is no actual water in it and the walls and floor are not damp to the touch but the humidity gauge always reads 100%. Is the following likely to lead to success?

Should I use a waterproofing product on the floor and up to DPM level before painting the floor? If so any good products?

I thought of using a leveller on the slightly uneven floor but International floor paint says it is not suitable for screeded floors so I was going to prime and paint the concrete as is. If the damp is coming through the floor, is paint likely to be a permanant fix?

For the walls, is thermal backed plasterboard sufficient or should I use expanded polystyrene sheets as well? If the former, how should they be fixed.

For the roof I was going to fix wood panels to the joists and slip expanded polystyrene sheets on top leaving a small gap to the roof boards and some vent spaces for ventilation to the flat roof.

I need to keep the humidity below 70% so the primer on the aluminium structure will cure. Then given a couple of years work I should have a rather fancy aeroplane for about the price of a decent car. See vansaircraft.com for boys toys.

thanks for any advice. John

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back