Garage conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am converting my garage in to a music studio and I have a few questions.

First off I'll describe the garage. It has a concrete foundation and Breeze block and brick walls. A timber pitched roof.

The garage is quite well made I believe and stays nice and dry, I will however lay down some damp course sheets just to be on the safe side. I also want it to be well insulated, floor, roof and walls. I was thinking of using polystyrene for the floor and either selotex, fibreglass or rockwool for the walls and ceiling.

So

1) what would be a good size for the floor joists? I was thinking of spacing them at 600mm apart as the polystyrene sheets come this wide.

2)what would be a good size for the wall batons? Or does this depend on what insulation I use?

3) What it the recommended distance for the overlaps of the damp course sheets?

4) do either of the different insulation materials have any advantage over the other, in terms of sound proofing/audio volume reduction?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back