Damp garage floor.. What are the options?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house was built in the 50s and it looks like there is no damp proofing in the garage because in the winter the floor is very damp to the point of being wet.. It looks like previous owners have tried to stick down some felt to the floor but this has pretty much fallen apart and just a few bits left.. The floor is quite "crumbly" in places too, I guess from years of being wet..

What are the most cost effective options to solve the problem?

Sponsored Links
The first thing is to check to make sure that surrounding soil is not higher then the base. If it is, dig a channel around the garage to a depth lower then the concrete base. Lightweight garages suffer from condensation, is yours? and the dripping water is wetting the base. If its just a case of poor concrete without a DPC then some surface treatment could be tried.
Frank

Hi Frank, The garage is blocks and plaster on the outside with an asbestos roof.. I don't remember seeing it dripping anywhere but that's not to say it didn't over night and I looked in the day when it had stopped..

I will check the soil hight and if necessary dig it down..

What surface treatments are there? What would you suggest?

Sponsored Links
Rubberised paints, Bitumen products, SBR loaded with cement used as a paint, Polyurethane based sealant,. . . . . No doubt others are available. Just a word about Bitumen based products, they stay sticky so need over coating with something. Ya pays ya money and you take ya choice. If you use Google and find something that seems OK, put a query up here perhaps someone will give you the low down on how it performs.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back