Damp garage floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, looking for some advice with a garage suffering from damp and mould.

the garage wasn’t used for storing a car when we moved in and that’s never changed. It had a carpet down and a condenser tumble dryer, fridge freezer, a bench and some free weights and other random things stored out there.

Anyway we spotted some white areas on the carpet so yesterday thought I’d investigate further.... shifted some bits around and literally found mushrooms growing on the carpet!

Today I ripped up all the carpet and can see a massive 1/2 inch crack in the concrete floor running pretty much the length of the garage.

no idea if DPM was ever installed, but if it’s anything else like the rest of the house, it’s probably a cowboy builder job!

I initially thought of filling the crack with concrete mix then painting the floor with that DPM paint to seal it, but this will be a nightmare in terms of storing everything that’s currently in the garage in another place while the two coats are applied (with 24 hour dry time per coat).... in theory we could carry the lot down the alleyway and store it all in the garden with a tarp over it, but it’s a lot of heavy stuff to move and the fridge freezer is full of stuff and it will just be a mammoth effort to do it.

so the plan in my head at the moment is to shift as much of the stuff down one end of the garage, then fill in one half of the crack with concrete mix, then lay some 1200 gauge DPM sheet, then some heavy-duty interlocking vinyl tiles on top...... then shift everything down to the other end of the garage and repeat.

so the questions I have are:

1. will standard concrete mix be a good idea to fill the crack or would it be better to use something else?

2. I know the DPM needs a few inches rise up on all sides, so was planning to stick it to the side walls with silicone mastic.... but what about the actual garage door? What do I do there? Just leave the dpm flat on the floor?

perhaps there’s a better approach to all of this? If so, I’m all ears!
Cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back