Damp in airing cupboard - what next ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just replaced the hot water tank in my airing cupboard, as the old one was leaking. Having removed & replaced the tank, I painted the walls, only to discover that the tank must have been leaking a lot longer than I thought and that quite a large amount of water has been sucked up into the walls (plaster on cinderblock or similar). So, 8 to 12 inches of water stains on my otherwise white walls

One week later, and the walls are drying nicely (door taken off to improve circulation). What's the best way forward once the walls have dried out. I have my suspicions that the damp has been contributing to my incessant sneezing and am wondering what I should do to treat the walls before painting again.

Matt

Sponsored Links
you could scrape the paint off and see if there is efflorescence. Keep scraping it off until the wall is dry and it stops (6 months usually)

if the plaster is damaged, hack it off and replaster.

look at the floor and joists for rot or insects. If you find woodlice that's a bad sign. I like to treat with Cuprinol green under bathroom and airing cupboard floors due to risk of leaks.

If the old floor is chipboard you might wish you had taken it up and replaced with 18mm WBP ply, or at least put a piece over the old floor to take the bearers of the cylinder.

If you are sneezing due to mould spores, a chlorine bleach cleaner will kill it. Otherwise it will die when it dries out but the spores will still be there so try to clean off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back