Painting over emulsion streaked by damp (but now dry)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In January I had a leak from somewhere which I hope has now been sorted out. The INTERIOR (and exterior) walls are dry, but I now have to paint the kitchen as there are two, one foot vertical streaks down the side of the window where the water that leaked into the kitchen from above the window (did it run across the lintel, then drop down the sides of the window?) stained the emulsion cover INTERIOR wall.
I have been told that I need to "seal" the damp by painting over it with terps/white spirit or an oil based paint AND THEN re-paint it with emulsion as before - IS THIS RIGHT/THE BEST WAY or will the two streaks still show through after re-painting?
Phil.

Sponsored Links
No, they were painted 7 years ago and have been untouched since.

Never heard of painting over with turps or white spirit.. :confused: ...that wont do anything..

Oil based paint is normally fine for sealing old stains like that...I used undercoat..dont bother using gloss its another take a break special!

The emulsion you put over it afterwards wont stick.

Sponsored Links
Or you can give all the bare plaster one coat of thinned down vinyl matt and leave to dry and then overcoat the water stain area with Thompsons Damp Seal and leave to dry. Then apply two coats of your vinyl matt. Job done.

If its only a couple of stains, and for cheapness, paint the stains with oilbase undercoat,(your bound to have some lying around in the shed) when dry,then emulsion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back