Paint over streaky Watered down PVA on walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Apologies for my miss-leading header!

I have interior brick showing on the roof, and around my windows. I washed and sealed the brickwork with 1 part PVA & 4 part Water.

I sprayed in on with napsack sprayer, and brushed in to avoid streaking. As it was so watery, it has ran down the white walls (which needed painted regardless).

What I want to know guys, before I start paining, will white Crown emulsion go over the streaks ok and cover them?

Thanks in advance chaps!

Sponsored Links
It's very unwise to apply an emulsion paint over pva, lightly sand the area and apply a coat of oil based undercoat, then you should be ok to apply your emulsion.

Dec

I have interior brick showing on the roof, and around my windows. I washed and sealed the brickwork with 1 part PVA & 4 part Water. What I want to know guys, before I start paining, will white Crown emulsion go over the streaks ok and cover them?
The PVA prime was a big, big mistake, why on earth did you do that? Normally I would recommend you remove the PVA but that’s going to be nigh on impossible on a brick wall; only hope now is to prime as TheDec suggests & hope your emulsion sticks to it.

if you mean the "white walls" are painted and/or plastered, clean off the PVA first as best you can with warm water and a scraper.

Never put PVA on a surface that you hope to later paint.

p.s. interesting building that. What is it, an old warehouse?

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies.

Dont know if some of you know where I am coming from though, my fault.

Only the roof, and round the windows are exposed brick, which I wanted to keep. so to eradicate the dusting from them, I sealed with pva mixture, which I have to say has worked an absolute treat.

On the plastered white walls, the pva has ran onto them a tad. Not badly, and could not be helped. They needed painted white anyway. So my question was, where the pva has ran onto the plastered walls, will simply emulsion over it be ok, as they needed painting anyway.

The building is an old ropeworks used for the shipyards in port Glasgow that has been renovated. Was quite an iconic building, and really nice flat. google Gourock Ropeworks in Port Glasgow. Thats the building, bit of an idea what it was and what it is now.

Thanks again men, any more insight would be appreciatted.

Clean it off as best you can with warm water like i said. it will soften when you put emulsion on it, will blister and not adhere. use the oil based (not water based) undercoat as well.

Clean it off as best you can with warm water like i said. it will soften when you put emulsion on it, will blister and not adhere. use the oil based (not water based) undercoat as well.

Thanks John

Seems to be going on not to bad without the oil based undercoat after a wipe, but will keep you updated, thanks for the information.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back