1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Matt emulsion in bathroom - streaks

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by Garyf73, 30 Nov 2020.

1. Garyf73

Garyf73

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

Bathroom has recently been painted using standard emulsion. Patches of the wall nearest the shower are showing brownish streaks. Standard emulsion has been used in error - oops.

I'd like to repaint the affected wall to remove the streaks but then cover with a clear sealant of some sort that provides protection. Are there any suggestions on what sealant would be suitable? Or do I have to re-do using bathroom paint, which unfortuntaely isn't available in the colour we've currently used.

Thanks for any help...

2. jacko555

jacko555

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I think the streaks may be water soluable stains? Any additional paint will carry it through. You may not be able to overpaint without priming first.

I "fixed" (ahem) covered similar stains in the old house that kept bleeding through.

Use a zinnser primer (I used the matt white sealer - an aerosol shellac) to seal, then painted over it.
    Unsure if they do a clear one.

You may be ok to prime, then repaint. Depends on how wet the walls get.

For the effort vs extra cost, Id get a bathroom paint of the correct colour though. You'll still need to prime if the brown stain bleeds through

3. Sponsored Links
  4. Garyf73

Garyf73

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Many thanks Jacko, think I'll get a bathroom paint that matches as best as possible. And hope that sorts the staining.

5. alex mills

alex mills

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I used Dulux stain blocker on a persistent patch of mould in the outside loo, months later it's still fine.

6. Sponsored Links
  7. Garyf73

Garyf73

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks Alex, I'll take a look at that product.