Matt emulsion in bathroom - streaks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Bathroom has recently been painted using standard emulsion. Patches of the wall nearest the shower are showing brownish streaks. Standard emulsion has been used in error - oops.

I'd like to repaint the affected wall to remove the streaks but then cover with a clear sealant of some sort that provides protection. Are there any suggestions on what sealant would be suitable? Or do I have to re-do using bathroom paint, which unfortuntaely isn't available in the colour we've currently used.

Thanks for any help...

Sponsored Links
I think the streaks may be water soluable stains? Any additional paint will carry it through. You may not be able to overpaint without priming first.

I "fixed" (ahem) covered similar stains in the old house that kept bleeding through.

Use a zinnser primer (I used the matt white sealer - an aerosol shellac) to seal, then painted over it.
Unsure if they do a clear one.

You may be ok to prime, then repaint. Depends on how wet the walls get.

For the effort vs extra cost, Id get a bathroom paint of the correct colour though. You'll still need to prime if the brown stain bleeds through

Many thanks Jacko, think I'll get a bathroom paint that matches as best as possible. And hope that sorts the staining.

I used Dulux stain blocker on a persistent patch of mould in the outside loo, months later it's still fine.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Alex, I'll take a look at that product.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back