Damp in bedroom wall around unused chimney breast?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have bedroom where part of the extrnal side wall has drylining. although this appears to correspond with the approximate position externally of the chimney breast, the approximate postion of the dry lining does not suggest it relates to a former fireplace opening. Other areas of the same wall sound hollow when randomly tapped suggesting possible los of key to backing.(see attached pics)

I've noticed some damp patches on this wall. One of the patches corresponds approximately to the postion of an external vent. Do capped chimneys like this also require an internal airvent? Toward the bottom of the chimney breast there is a vent that is being used for a cooker hood.

The chimney has been capped to the roofline. I'm unable to see if there are cracks upthere causing water ingress. However whne i've checked in the loft there are some internal bricks missing and the remaining internal bricks approximately around the position of the chimney breast appear damp with motar that is soft like mud. clearly there is water ingress somewhere.

Any ideas folks? Who would be best to ask to check this out - a roofer or bricky?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back