Damp in corner of kitchen

you really don't want to look at that downpipe or gutter, do you?

Sponsored Links
John, I have observed it on a rainy day, and water was bubbling freely out of the downpipe, with no signs of any leaks further up. The roof overhangs by about a foot each way (gable end and gutters), so if gutters were overflowing I'd hear it as well.

Do you agree with my theory that the water was getting in through the dodgy pointing? Look at the shape of the repointed area - a direct correlation with the damp on the other side of the wall!!

Could be, but it is unusual for enough water to be running down a wall to make it that wet. If you hack off the plaster and render with S&C, with a hard skim (not sure what to use, but that's the tradition round here) with Supermatt instead of wallpaper, it will be able to breathe better, which will also help a bit.

As someone else said, water could be settling on the damp course and therefore coming to the plaster surface where it can dissipate down?

Sponsored Links
Steve, FWIW you have now made things worse.

1. You should have researched pointing on here.
2. Raking out requires an angle grinder cutting to a depth of 18 - 22mm.
3. Your mortar has far too much cement in the mix, and is far too sloppy. It will shrink, crack and attract and retain more moisture than the original smear-on pointing.
4. You have struck your pointing before it was ready.
5. Researching here you would have found a method for DIY'ers, of taping your joints to keep a clean edge - just like painters do it.
6. Cement is hard to impossible to remove from masonry, your house has been given a low-rent look, same as if you had gone out and graffited it.

It's your house and your call, but you did come on here for advice.

tim00:

2. I didnt need an angle grinder to rake out what I did. The mortar came out to at least that depth with a bit of percussive persuasion and a long old screwdriver.
3. The mortar came in a bucket ready mixed - just add xxxml water - I followed the destructions on the bucket wrt mixing, and it specifically mentioned it was suitable for pointing.
4. If you mean I "finished it off" before it was ready, I am happy to admit I might have been a little hasty in doing this, but it was cold.
5. I never thought of taping the joints, but again I'm happy to admit I should have researched more to learn such methods.
6. I am going to try my best to remove the mortar from the faces. My house is in a "low-rent" area, what I've done is nothing unusual for the area. However, I dont think its the same as going out and scrawling in spraypaint down the side of the house. On the contrary, I think it shows the owner cares about the house and has fixed a problem. While I was raking out I realised just how bad the corner was - I could rake out over a whole brick and free it up! I know the corner is a lot more stable now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back