Damp in roof space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our house is a new build in March 2011. I have noticed on the inside of roof on the black breathable type material that condensation often occurs and this can accumulate and drip. Tonight it appeared on only one side even though the build is the same. It really is just tiles and underneath wooden battens and breathable blanket.

I assume its built within building regulations but wondered how we could help prevent or deal with this as the roof is damp. Some wooden items have become mouldy. I know roofs are not now designed for storage but we have always done this.

Its not a total disaster as a lot of things are in boxes but we have just noticed damp and mould on a few things so we will have a clear out and box anything we can.

Just wondered if this is normal and any tips on preventing any build up.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
do you have full through ventilation by eaves or roof vents ??
do you have any extractor fans discharging into the attic or ducting running through the attic??

Hi,

It does feel very draughty when the wind is blowing never had that so much before, but maybe new builds are different. There is a type of roof vent but its no fan or extractor. Is the moisture from inside because its too draughty and then when cold it condensates rather than wet from the roof tiles.

I may need to crawl along to the eaves to see how big this gap is, like I said it does feel a bit draughtier than I have had before. Are new builds built in a different way and what sort of gap should I expect.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
the reference to an extractor is from the house into the attic
your attic sounds fine as its draughty
its checking there is no moist warm air getting into the attic from the rooms underneath via as tony1851 said via spots or other gaps cracks or leaky extractors :eek:

OK, so the problem is likely warm moist air getting in loft, there is a pipe for an extraction fan running through the loft which first smelt of sewage when we moved in so the builders had to fix that. The loft is boarded on the floor so this is likely cause being the extraction pipe though it appears in good order.

thanks

assuming its not split then its not a problem

i was just checking no cowboy had decided to vent directly into the roof void :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back