damp inside walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The bedroom in my house has deep recessed windows and I have noticed that the walls in the recess are suffering from damp. Could it be lack of ventilation or could it be that the seal around the double glazed window which does not seem to fit properly is causing this. I also have a small extension that was built approx 10 years ago (prior to me buying the house). There is a patio window in this extension and the rendering below this has blown. I am going to pull all this off and re render the wall but I have noticed that the side of the extension and the wall above the rendering is very damp. Could it be the poor rendering that is causing the side wall to also be damp. The extension is only about 4ft on the end of the existing lounge. I think that there is a damp course in the extension although I am not sure

Sponsored Links
Check the outside such as gutter joint leaking, poor brick pointing, flowerbed is not above the dpc level or as you said maybe poor rendering.

You may also have what is known as "condensation trap" which is lack of air flow or ventilation. Where about is this damp from the floor level ?

driving rain on a wall coupled with a good stiff breeze will force the wet into any gaps like around a badly sealed window and that water will materialise somewhere! so get the windows sealed with mastic and this should help.
As for the extension as masona says firstly check that gutters are running as they should and nothing is overflowing onto rendered walls.
If it is simply poor rendering then it could be a number of reasons, poor mix, no first scratch coat, or no waterproofer in the final floating coat causing it to blow, also is rain runninig down the wall and behind the render as I assume it is only the plinth below d.p.c. that is the problem, this being the only rendered part of your extension??. Is there any damp problem here or are you just concerned with the externals?

Sponsored Links
the house is in a very exposed and high area so weather is probably a factor in this, there is no flowerbed beneath the patio doors and about a two foot drop to the patio itself. (must remember that after a couple of drinks in the Summer!!). The house is an end terrace and the damp seems to be directly above the rendering, from the edge of the patio window to the corner and along the other gable wall. It only extends about 6 inches up the wall, the rest being dry. Although I have only just bought the property the extension was built without building regulations about 10 years ago. The previous owners took out an indemnity policy on my behalf at the request of my solicitor so I don't know if anything can be gained from that. I have noted that the roof slates do not overhang far enough and the down pipe from the guttering above comes down directly onto the roof of the extension. (apologies for this being so long winded)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back