Damp issue

Sponsored Links
What is the room used for?
Whats above the ceiling?
Are any of the walls shown exterior?
Do you dry clothing etc in the home?
Do you have any external vents in the room?
Do you have fans in kitchen and bathroom?
And a dozen more questions unless you provide a little information

Sponsored Links
Its a fairly common example of mould forming on cold walls, where there is little air exchange and an excess of moisture in the air.
Ensure that the bathroom in particular is ventilated - fit an extractor fan with a timer and see that it is used.
More heating in the room would help too.....is this an elderly property with minimal insulation?
John :)

Looks to be condensation through lack of adequate ventilation, in room , kitchen and bathroom. More heating would just allow more moisture to be carried and make it possibly worse. Installing an air brick in the corner would be my first job and checking the roof and gutters for leaks.

Proper ventilation is the only way to fix the problem for the long term. I had a similar problem in my house

Thanks for your replies. I m going to put an air brick in. Being a DIY novice how do I know if there are any roof leaks or not? There are plenty of leaks in the guttering which is old and knackered. I think I ll start with the air brick though

Any guttering issues will likely show up as water patches down the wall....which needs to be dealt with at all costs.
Its worth having a good look at the roof when the ladders are there too.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back