Damp issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Regarding my rental property

1 | Damp Issue

The issue is to the right hand side of the entrance porch.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137639890@N02/22660294250/in/dateposted-public/

Due to the heavy rain this morning you can see rain water rinning down from the window sill.

2 | Damp proof Co

Back in Sept last year a damp proof co have stated its due to rising damp.

3 | UPVC Co.,

Today, a UPVC co, inspected it and said the cause is down to the rain fall as can be seen in the above image. They also said that it is coming from the roof and require lead flashing. Please see the following image of the outside:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/137639890@N02/22660504740/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137639890@N02/22847639785/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/137639890@N02/22834100152/in/dateposted-public/

They recommended that I get an independent building survey done.

I do not want end up spending £1600 on a DPC co and then find out was to do with the roof. Then, end up replacing the roof and guttering. Sick of wasting money on bad advice when the money can go into the mortgage.

Sponsored Links
Back in Sept last year a damp proof co have stated its due to rising damp.

They always say that - it's the only way to convince people to purchase their useless and overpriced product.
In this instance they are totally wrong.

The UPVC people are right - it's water ingress caused by one or more of: the downpipe leaking/overflowing, poor or failed seals around the window and masonry, or a failed joint on the roof. Possibly where that unusual 'extended' part of the window goes into the porch structure behind the downpipe.

All of the above can easily be identified by looking outside and on the roof when it's raining to see where water is going.

There appears to be a hole above the Rainwater Collecting head where the wooden fascia meets the wall.
What is the wall like in the room that backs onto the porch.

There appears to be a hole above the Rainwater Collecting head where the wooden fascia meets the wall.
What is the wall like in the room that backs onto the porch.

The Hall way appears to be fine itself, no issues detected and also with the living room.

The DPC Co are looking at doing the living room as well, I do not know why. Please see images of there paper work they sent us :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137639890@N02/22464018029/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137639890@N02/22437827508/in/dateposted-public/

I am going to cancel the job request on Monday, which they booked in to day w/c 16 Nov.

Sponsored Links
The porch roof is wrongly designed, it should have been a single slope either front to back (gutter along the front) or from the bay to the side (gutter at side). the present design will get the angle between it and the bay blocked with leaves.
That hopper and drain pipe need to be removed and a piece of plastic/Ali/lead/stainless steel made to to catch the water coming from the side and directing it down a drain pipe, a hopper seems over the top. Ideally it should have its top edge under the flashing and slates but surface mounted with a thick seal of silicone should do. Mount the drain pipe over the bit of blank wall with a shoe directing the water away from the house.
Frank

that porch/bay is terrible. No wonder you've had two years of damp. Who came up with that design?

I bet you wish now you hadn't wasted your money on the Mr Venty

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137639890@N02/22660504740/in/dateposted-public/

Hi, thank you for your reply.

We have a nuaire drimaster installed in the property because it used to get bad condensation and black mould.:)

We purchased the property in 2007 and there were no issues with it until we started renting the property and the issue started. I agree with you it is sh*t design, compared to a neighbours.:(

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137639890@N02/22677881550/in/dateposted-public/

But the porch was made before we arrived. I cannot begin to tell you how much we spent on this bloody property and we are sick of it:cry::

1 |Front driveway and rear garden.
2 | A back hipped roof for the roof extension.
3 | Replastered the whole house
4 | Repainted
5 | New kitchen
6 | New Bathroom
7 | New guttering
8 | New UPVC to be installed, because they current ones are of sh*te quality:mad:

It may be worth taking a photo of the abutment detail on the roof and if possible slide up the bottom course of tiles and post photos of whats there.

It may be worth taking a photo of the abutment detail on the roof and if possible slide up the bottom course of tiles and post photos of whats there.

Hi cAtLeYx

Please check my media.

I lifted up the first row of tiles and tookj a photo here
//www.diynot.com/diy/media/front-tiles-lifted.96443/

I chipped away at the plaster this afternoon and it was easy to get through because it wet. What I wanted to know if anyone can tell is the extension made of breezeblocks or bricks?
//www.diynot.com/diy/media/12.96439/

The internal damp today //www.diynot.com/diy/media/13.96440/

The left handside of the roof, you can see there is no lead flashing but whats appears to be felt //www.diynot.com/diy/media/10.96437/

The right handside of the roof //www.diynot.com/diy/media/9.96436/

The water damage to ceiling of porch //www.diynot.com/diy/media/img_4295.96444/

Last edited:
To be brief:

1. Demolish the existing, and re-build a new porch. You will come out even compared to paying for this or that repair for the next so many years.

2. Glancing thro your pics i came up with over 20 obvious faults.

3. The D&T company are right - you will need remedial work inside the front room - the walls & possibly the suspended floor.

4. Whatever you open up & expose will in all probability need further work.

To be brief:

1. Demolish the existing, and re-build a new porch. You will come out even compared to paying for this or that repair for the next so many years.

2. Glancing thro your pics i came up with over 20 obvious faults.

3. The D&T company are right - you will need remedial work inside the front room - the walls & possibly the suspended floor.

4. Whatever you open up & expose will in all probability need further work.

Thanks for your reply. I am seriously considering about knocking it down and not having a porch. It is not worth the hassle and the expense.

Wednesday gone (11 Nov 2015), we informed the Damp Proof Co., about the roof and the surveyor cancelled his training immediately to come and inspect the porch, again. This is what he said :

1| He has confirmed it is due to the roof and not due to rising damp. :LOL:
2| The porch is made from breezeblock rather than brick as stated by their initial report:whistle:
3| He asked do we really need the porch, because it would be more cost effective to go back to the original design of the property:sneaky:
4| We informed him that they misled us along with other damp co.'s, he said at the time there was no rain thats is the reason why the did not pin point it.:ROFLMAO:
5| The surveyor had a camera on him and was taking pictures of everything. He asked when the previous surveyor came did he take pics in Aug last year we said "no". It is the normal practice for surveyors to take images. :D
6| The Surveyor had the "O, s**t" syndrome written all over his face. Kinda felt for the guy. But, they were going to rip us off.:rolleyes:
7| Before leaving he said he would get his MD to contact us. We will see otherwise we will threaten the company that we will get in touch with the PCA.:evil:

You have so far had two separate D&T Companies send two separate "surveyors" to come and report on the property? Is that right?

You have had two original reports from these surveys for D&T issues? What are the survey dates on the reports?

Or has the same company sent two, or more, different surveyors to your property?

You have also had "a UPVC company" come and give an opinion?

Quite possibly, the PCA will threaten you back - they are not there to represent you the consumer.

AAMOI: Keep your counsel, dont answer their questions or supply them with any information about what you propose to do - you ask them what they intend to do. Keep a record.

You have so far had two separate D&T Companies send two separate "surveyors" to come and report on the property? Is that right?

Yes

You have had two original reports from these surveys for D&T issues? What are the survey dates on the reports?

Or has the same company sent two, or more, different surveyors to your property?

Two original reports dated : 25 June 2014 and 27 May 2014 both separate company reports indictating signs of dampness, supported by moisture profile readings obtained with an electronic moisture meter, according to them presence of rising damp.

The report states that the property is contructed in 275mm cavity brickwork. This is true for the original property but not the case for the porch which is breezeblock and I have been told by another D&T co., the palster on the porch cannot be removed.

You have also had "a UPVC company" come and give an opinion?

Yes, this was a couple of weeks ago. They determined that it was due to water ingress from the porch roof. Which seemed visable as there were streaks of water going down the plaster and water dripping from the ceiling

Quite possibly, the PCA will threaten you back - they are not there to represent you the consumer.

Agreed, regarding they are not here to represent us. Could you please elaborate on how the PCA would threaten us?

AAMOI: Keep your counsel, dont answer their questions or supply them with any information about what you propose to do - you ask them what they intend to do. Keep a record.

Brilliant advise.(y)

Last edited:
ref. PCA i used a figure of speech. But between the D&T companies and the PCA (all masters of stringing complaints out) you might be threatened in the sense that they will waste your time and money in seeking redress.

If you are full out serious (not just mad as heck) then your first recourse is to take legal advice - then follow that advice to the letter.

FWIW: i dont think that you will get far based on the above information.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back